Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been sitting for almost a year. I was out of the country for 5 months and someone was supposed to replace the fuel pump , but when I cam back the bike wouldnt even start. I dont have a lot of home time so I finally got around to tinkering with it today. I installed a new pump motor a few moths ago. When turning the key on it will whistle/whine for a few seconds. It will not fire up, just turn over. But when I pour a little gas into the top end, it fires up and will idle until I turn it off. The fuel pump I bought was just the motor replacement. I'm not sure if I should buy a new assembly or not, thats a couple hundred bucks on a guess. Someone suggested putting it in dealer mode? The display is off, has been for a while. I remember it threw an F1 code I think it was but it ran and rode just fine for months until I left. Just at a loss as to why it will not start on its own without pouring gas in the top in to start it.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
The fuel pump filters would be my guess. Often a pump will not supply sufficient fuel for the motor to fire if the filters are clogged. The display being off may just be a simple fuse or connector being loose. You should get it fixed as any faults that are showing may point in the correct direction for the non start issue should it not be the one I suggested. Fresh fuel is probably a good idea too...might be one or more injectors gummed up due to the lay over....try some good quality injector cleaner...crank and leave overnight. Also check all the safety switches are working....side stand, clutch etc.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts