Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I figured out while riding the bike. The bike starts strong and starts to act like a flooded carb. Mind you the bike is FI. It gets progressively worse pretty quick. If I shut the bike off and turn the start switch on, wait for the fuel pump to stop humming, I can start the bike and it run amazing for about 1/4 mile then symptoms repeat.

I’ve replaced plugs, air filter, fuel pump with new strainer, fuel line and the problem is worse. Not an Oem fuel pump. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I’m stumped

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
So here is what I figured out while riding the bike. The bike starts strong and starts to act like a flooded carb.
What exactly makes you think it is getting to MUCH fuel ?
My guess would be too little, because of a plugged tank vent OR low fuel pressure, maybe because your new fuel pump is bad.
Crack the fuel cap open and see if the problem goes away.
If not, then a fuel pressure gauge likely will be needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they put a larger fuel line. Thinking further, you may be right. Possibility of the fuel pump tryin to full the larger line and not keeping up. When the pull-up runs then shuts off before starting, it runs great for a short time

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
I think they put a larger fuel line. Thinking further, you may be right. Possibility of the fuel pump tryin to full the larger line and not keeping up. When the pull-up runs then shuts off before starting, it runs great for a short time
Not sure what you are trying to say here but I don't think you understand how a FI system works.
The fuel pump is a high pressure, low volume pump. The size of the line going in or out should have NO impact on it's proper operation.
Don't forget to check the tank venting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not as familiar with FI as I am with carbs. I will check the vent and may have a low performing pump if not. I talked to my mechanic that installed the fuel line and he stated that it was the same size fuel line just a better material. I do basic maintenance and repairs normally so this item was out of my comfort zone and was attempting not to have to take it to the shop again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts