Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New to the forum. Unfortunately, what brought me to this forum was looking for info on some mishaps I've had so far with my new C50.

Bought my C50Black on 10/17/05. Rode for a few token warm weekends throughout the winter, and FINALLY...spring is here. This is my first bike (other than a Honda 50 when I was little) and I love everything about it. ..EXCEPT the service I've received so far. Brought it in for its first service/oil change, etc. on Tuesday 3/7/06, picked it up Friday 3/10/06, everything is fine. Monday 3/13/06, 75 degrees in NJ, I decide to ride it to work. Halfway there, oil light comes on, engine automatically turns off due to no oil pressure, I coast off to the side of the road. Get off the bike, look underneath, and oil was blowing out from the filter all over the bottom of the bike, including the tread of the rear tire! Called the dealership, they came out, we loaded the bike into the back of the dealership's truck, took it back to the dealership and they fixed it. They "said" when the service was done the week prior, that an AFTERMARKET oil filter was used, and IT failed. WHY, if I'm bringing it to the dealership for service, would they have used non-Suzuki parts? and secondly, they brushed it off as no big deal, offered me nothing for my troubles, and basically didn't consider that I could've wiped out BIGTIME with oil covering my rear tire due to THEIR screw up. Anyways, SORRY for the life story. It's just too bad, because I LOVE the bike, it is absolutely awesome looking, sounds great, has more-than-adequate smooth power for an 805cc, comfortable as can be, starts right up everytime, by far the best bike for the money. Anyways...the saga lives on. Today, 3/31/06, 75 degrees again here in NJ, decide to give it another shot and ride to work today being everything should be fixed now, and I haven't ridden it since the night I brought it home from the dealer on 3/13/06 after that last incident. Anyhow, ride the bike to work today, no problems. I go outside about an hour or two later, and notice a few drops of oil, this time dripping from the bottom of the radiator cover. I'm not sure where this could be coming from. Then, about an hour later, go back out, and now notice a few drops of oil coming from right under the transmission casing. None of the leaking is coming from the oil filter. Where could it be leaking from now? This just really sucks. It's definitely not leaking nearly as much as it was that first time a few weeks ago, but disheartening just the same. There were NO fluid leaks coming from ANYWHERE during the first 690 miles before I took it in for its first service. Either the service techs didn't tighten something tight enough, or they over-filled it, or it has some other problem. This bike is really awesome and has been completely trouble-free up until I took it in for its initial service. I know, the easy answer here is to just take it in to the dealership again and raise some hell this time. The inconvenience factor here is just starting to rise, and it sucks having to now worry about the bike having some sort of failure while riding it after it's been in for service. Should I have bought a Honda or a Yamaha? or is this basically a service department oversight?

Any comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm HOPING you are right! I'm debating whether to take it to the dealer on my way home today, or give it a few days to see if it STOPS leaking anything from any hidden spots. even though it's been sitting in my garage for 2-1/2 weeks without a single drop on my garage floor. Thanks for the encouraging reply.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm with Bad Boy on this one. Probably just residue from the first issue. Those filters have to be tightened really tight on these bikes. I bet your rookie tech at the dealership didn't get it tight enough.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I would never take my bike back to that dealer, they do not seem quite qualified to work on bikes. You should have a word with the owner about your experience. There is one multiline dealer in my area that is the source for every local horror story. The dealer (Lee's Suzuki, Yamaka, Kawasaki) I bought my C50 from has worked on my Concours in the past and I have been very pleased with their service department. I will have my bike down there soon for a vavlve adjustment and the recall thing.

Changing oil is the simplest service, it's a good thing to do yourself so you know what oil and filter are used and you know the oil level is correct and the filter was installed properly - not to mention the money you'll save.

I haven't seen any fliud leaks from bike in the first 10,000+ miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm sure changing the oil myself is a simple task. I've been a semi-knowledgable car guy ever since high school years, and I'm sure self-maintenance on a motorcycle is even easier.

Anyhow, the oil filter is on there as tight as can be, and I don't believe that's the issue THIS time. I just hope it's not coming from a line or somewhere. Hopefully, it's just the dying symptoms from the 1st nightmare. Plus, the dealership was supposed to wash/clean the bike up after that 1st incident. I believe they gave it a half-***'d wash, but turned out I ended up doing most of the cleaning after the fact. The wheels still had gunked dirt and oil all over them. UGH. Just hoping things turn around with this, because I still love the bike. Am I allowed to give the name of the dealer on here? or would it be uncool to throw them under the bus? haa I'll just shut it for now.

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
thehobe
:welcomes:

I am sorry to hear about your dealer issues as that is a great bike.
Pick up a mechanics mirror and use to check your sight glass, while seated on your bike.

I would go back to the dealer and explain your problems and give him a chance to fix If still not satisfied switch dealers and file a complaint with Suzuki itself.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Give the the bike a good washing...clean the bottom with some degreaser, then take it for a ride and see if it is still leaking

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are several points of interest to consider when changing oil. They include making sure the o-ring from the old filter does not remain stuck to the engine, or you will have a major catastrophe, much like you've experienced already. The o-ring or washer for drain plug(s) must be present and in serviceable condition when re-installed and tightened. I also recommend finding out what the specified amount of oil required is, and add exactly that. Then check the dipstick or level glass to find out where it is, and consider that to be your "full" level from now on. If there is some major discrepancy, find out why.

Never use oil labeled as "energy conserving" in a wet-clutch bike, it will likely cause clutch slippage.

Use an appropriate weight oil, generally between a heavy-duty 10w30 to 20w50 will "get her done".....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well... glad to report, after the 45-60min ride home from work today (Friday afternoon rush hour in the Princeton corridor in NJ is the pits!), not a single drop of anything in my driveway after I let it cool down for over an hour. THAT'S GOOD NEWS! Maybe it WAS just residual oil from the last time finding its way out, like a few of you suggested. I will DEFINITELY be keeping my eye on it though, AND following the good pointers and pieces of info here from you guys, so thanks alot for that! Much appreciated! The weekend is just hours away and the weather is finally mild....enjoy and be safe to anyone planning on going out for a trek. Sunday looks the better of the two days, atleast here in the northeast.

·
Registered
288 Posts
thehobe said:
Am I allowed to give the name of the dealer on here? or would it be uncool to throw them under the bus? haa I'll just shut it for now.
Heck throw them under the bus, pull them back out and throw them under again! "SHOUT THEIR NAME FROM THE ROOFTOPS FOR ALL TO HEAR"

It seems these days the only way some of these dealers will give good service is if you hit them where they notice it the most, economically, reduce their reoccuring income (word of mouth goes around fast, especially if it's negagtive) and they will eventually start looking @ what they are doing wrong, some even get around to correcting it?

Don't let them win, don't let a bad experience with 1 stealer spoil the fun, ride it, enjoy it, and find a better dealer/service dept!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Almost forgot, Ditto what tlwisner said!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
What brand oil filter did they use ?

Suzuki America might be interested , The BBB in your area, Does your state have a consumer advocate ?

Don't just leave man, they almost made you a motor vehicle statistic !

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Welcome to the boards, you'll find a ton of info around here and good people so hope you stick around.

The 800's from Suzuki by a mile are very reliable and well crafted machines. Almost all problems relate to dealership error that we've seen around here so far.

everyone's covered the issue, and I agree that it sounds just like dealership screw up so get out there and have fun. Pay attention to it, but don't let it sour you on a great machine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm not exactly sure what brand the aftermarket filter was, but I know there's a Suzuki one on there now. If I'm bringing the bike to Suzuki, I just don't understand why they wouldn't use genuine parts, other than to save a penny here and a penny there, which is probably the only real reason. Suzuki America is getting a nice letter on this one though. The fact that I was almost a "statistic" opens my eyes a little more.

and I am trying my best to not let this experience sour me. It IS a great machine, unfortunately serviced by incompetants at THIS particular Trenton, NJ (there's only one) dealership. It's going to take something way more severe than this to sway my interest from the bike and riding it, and loving every minute of it.

The thing that really kills me is that the initial 600 mile service I brought it in for on 3/7/06, when all was said and done, cost me like $179. and for WHAT? An expensive headache.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You live in Hamilton N.J. that's in the Trenton area, there's got to a good dealer some where in that area !

Post a message on this and the Volusia board and ask for recommendations !

·
Registered
111 Posts
hobe,

you may want to ask Lexcruiser who has an M50 and is from central nj. I believe he bought and has had his bike serviced at "Rizzon Motorcycles" in Middlesex and is happy with the service. I bought my bike at Monmouth Cycles in Middletown which treated me great while i was buying the bike but never used there service since i live far away in north-eastern NJ right next to the city.

I agree with tlwisner just change you oil and fluids on your own the next time. It'll save you money and a peace of mind.

Nice to see another Jersey guy. Best of luck with the bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
cornell said:
hobe,

you may want to ask Lexcruiser who has an M50 and is from central nj. I believe he bought and has had his bike serviced at "Rizzon Motorcycles" in Middlesex and is happy with the service. I bought my bike at Monmouth Cycles in Middletown which treated me great while i was buying the bike but never used there service since i live far away in north-eastern NJ right next to the city.

I agree with tlwisner just change you oil and fluids on your own the next time. It'll save you money and a peace of mind.

Nice to see another Jersey guy. Best of luck with the bike.
Hey are they still located on Rte 35 in Middletown ?

I use to do business with them dating back 20 years. It's a small world after all!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yea Monmouth Cycles is on rt35. I've never seen it in the past but the place looks newly remodeled (looks state of the art) and big compared to any other Jersey dealer I've been to.

It's a very small world ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I used to live right by Monmouth Cycles in Middletown before I moved to Hamilton in '02. It IS a small world. There's another dealer about 10 miles from me on Rte.33 in Millstone (I think) called Xtreme Cycles. Beautiful, state-of-the-art showroom and facility. Maybe I'll try there next time, OR just change my own fluids from now on. I SHOULD do it on my own anyways to familiarize myself with the bike as much as possible, in case I'm out in the middle of nowhere someday and have a problem.

Is nice to see some other NJ guys on here. Went riding yesterday to beach and back from Hamilton (about 40 miles each way). Most perfect riding day I've experienced on the bike yet. 65 degrees and sunny. Not too hot, not too cold. Took 524 across the state and other back roads. I must've done 150+ biker waves yesterday. ha (that's alot for me anyways being a semi-newbie). It was cool.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, proud to report NO mechanical issues with oil leaks or of any other nature at the end of the day. That second oil drippage I saw, must've been residual from the first issue. My oil level is fine, oil is clean. Maybe the dealership tech actually did the job correctly the second time around afterall. I'm back to believing the C50 is an amazing machine again. :) ...not that I really STOPPED believing that, but the first issue kinda threw me for a loop. (not LITERALLY, thank god!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts