Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 5500 miles on bike I put about 2000 on it. I bought it used last summer and didn't have any problems at first. I have a problem getting it into 1st periodically after riding bike for about 20 minutes or so no problem when cold and the clutch seems to let out at the very end. If I put it in neutral to make sure I am in first it won't go into first unless i double clutch it. I was wondering if it could be the clutch not being disengaged far enough. I am a industrial mechanic I never tore a bike down. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome to M-J.

How old is the oil? Old oil can lead to fussy shifting. If the clutch doesn't disengage near the beginning of lever travel, it may need adjustment (assuming it's not hydraulic).

·
Super Moderator
12,335 Posts
I was wondering if it could be the clutch not being disengaged far enough. I am a industrial mechanic I never tore a bike down.
:welcomes:

Doubtful that a "tear down" will be necessary. :mrgreen:

How much slack is in the clutch cable ??

Change the oil if you haven't lately. Many say that synthetic (bike specific) helps with that but it should not be necessary.

It is not unusual to have trouble going into 1st from neutral when at a stop; best to do that just before you stop completely.

Lots of good Shadow folks here too:

HondaShadow Discussion Forum :: Index

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the oil was changed at the bike shop i bought it at 2000 miles ago they told me to change it at 6000 miles, as far as the clutch cable goes it has just a little play.

·
Super Moderator
12,335 Posts
the oil was changed at the bike shop i bought it at 2000 miles ago they told me to change it at 6000 miles,
Most riders change their oil once a year, even if it is not "required" because of mileage. They also change it if there is a problem with shifting.

Easy and inexpensive things first.

The fact that you did not "notice" this before does not necessarily mean that it is not "normal". For some riders, it's hard to shift into first some days and not others. As I said before, you can eliminate that problem almost 100% by NOT stopping in neutral. If you do, double-clutching OR rolling the bike forward or back a few inches will usually fix the problem.......and is not necessarily abnormal.

What qualifies as "a little play" in the clutch ?? It should be about the thickness of a nickel at the "pinch point".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok that sounds about right for the free play I absolutely agree about the easy and inexpensive first. The oil isn't a year old yet but i will change it. I rode today (beautiful day)and it seams to shift better if i don't pull clutch in all the way. I didn't have one instance of it happening. I got the idea after my fiance suggested leaving the clutch out a little to get into first. I always double clutched but not pulling it in all the way seems to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts