Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 Boulevard M50..sat for about 1 yr. parked it with a full tank to prevent tank corrosion. Battery went bad so i bought new, good battery. tried to start and it only cranks, no fire. starting fluid will let it run for a sec. i can hear the pump run in tank. pulled tank off and had gas in the line. pulled injector and gave it 12 volts, it opened and i can blow through it. any ideas on what and how to test?

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Test the pump for flow and pressure.
Likely it has failed......or the screen in the tank is plugged up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
07 Boulevard M50..sat for about 1 yr. parked it with a full tank to prevent tank corrosion. Battery went bad so i bought new, good battery. tried to start and it only cranks, no fire. starting fluid will let it run for a sec. i can hear the pump run in tank. pulled tank off and had gas in the line. pulled injector and gave it 12 volts, it opened and i can blow through it. any ideas on what and how to test?
I think I have a similar problem with my 2009 M50SE, but I left the bike in storage for 4 years. I had tried to start it a few times in the past few years and even bought a new battery without any success. Initially, I thought that the tank was rusted because there was a rough brown residue, that I could feel, inside the filler cap. With that, I figured the tank was rusted and the bike ruined. Last fall, I removed and drained the tank and then removed the fuel pump to let everything dry out over the winter. I just went back and looked. Where the gas had evaporated, there was the same brown residue that was easy to flake-off. The residue must have been from the gas and it all came off when I brushed it with a stiff nylon brush. There did not appear to be any dirt on the filter as it was just a tan color, but I am going to buy a fuel pump kit and replace it.

I have kind of lost interest in riding and just want to sell it to close the storage unit. Any thoughts on my next steps would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Get it running and sell it. The residue is likely from the fuel additives that you have over there and is easily removed. A good doese of fuel system cleaner will probably take care of any other possible fuel related problems than put it up for sale....I guess

1 - 4 of 4 Posts