Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scoured all over the internet researching and looking at photos of different windshields for my M50. I like the OEM one but wow is it hard to find. One local dealer quoted me $625 CAD for what I assume is just the shield, no mounting hardware, part #990A0-70013. So that doesn't seem likely. What is similar to it style and size wise? But obviously with a much better price. Or where can I find one for a reasonable price? I've tried local buy and sells(Facebook, kijiji), eBay.ca, amazon.ca, fortnine.ca

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
I've been riding for a bit over 50 years and the ONLY add-on windshield that I ever liked was the Memphis Shades fairing with the optional taller windshield.
But.....it isn't cheap. Might be about the same as the stock price you got.

And you should NOT assume anything. Ask a dealer if that comes with mounting hardware or not.
And if not, what the cost would be for that.

I know that the MS fairing is priced without mounting hardware and you must buy that separately from them.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
When I had my M50, I bought a Mephis Shades windshield. One of the quick detach models. I think it was worth the cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I first got my M50 I looked long and hard for someone out there that maybe found or made a windshield that really worked magic on a M50. I found sites that did cool screens for other bikes, but nothing that fit the M50. I settled on a Memphis Shades screen. They are generic and fit many bikes. It's not perfect but I've ridden with and without it, and on the highway, I prefer it on. The only thing I don't like is the turbulence it creates around your helmet. Some guys say it's a matter of the right fitment or getting a taller wind screen. I didn't want a really tall wind screen because I don't like that look. I think my Memphis shade is the sport style or something like that. When I bought mine there were like 3 basic shapes you could get at the time and I choose the smaller of the 3 with looks weighing in on that decision. One thing I found when going highway speeds is that if I put my hand right at the top of the windscreen it will deflect the wind up higher and all the noise goes away. Now they make an attachment that fits on the top of your wind screen to do that deflection but I haven't added one, again, due to looks. I think it looks crappy. I then looked for someone that made a windscreen that had a re-curve made at the top to do that extra deflection but again, no one made one that would fit a M50. I'm surprised that Memphis Shades doesn't do a re-curve in their windshields but probably too expensive to make the tooling to do that shape and that shape is probably a hard science to nail down. I'll stop bumbling now. Get a Memphis Shade. It's the best bang for the dollar.

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Get a Memphis Shade. It's the best bang for the dollar.
I agree.
BUT.....after tens of years fighting helmet buffeting that I swore was because of air coming OVER the top of the shield......and adding various "lips" trying to solve it, a couple of "seasoned" riders suggested that the offending air really was coming from the LOWER part of the front end.......below the shield.
If you can safely ride "no hands", try crossing your arms on your chest near the bottom of your rib cage.
When I did that, I was shocked at how much difference it made.
Then I got a fairing.......from MS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've heard and read all of what you just wrote. And I totally believe you. But I've tried all that and the only thing that affected anything with my helmet buffeting was the hand on top of the wind screen. So who knows the exact physics of it. Lots of variables. One article I found from someone who made their own screens was to try cutting a hole at the bottom or middle of the screen and place a pop vent in it. Like the ones they use in small planes to force air into the cabin. This supposedly can disrupt the vacuum that is being created behind that wind screen. When I think about the principles behind turbulent and laminar flow that might make some sense. Only experimentation will tell. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up confirming that the OEM one comes with hardware. And I found one of the local dealers that had it on clearance for $350 as opposed to list price of $650. And then I talked him down to $250. LOL. So I'm happy now. Installing this evening. Will see what difference it makes. Thanks for all the informed recommendations. Definitely appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts