Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi new member here. just got a 08 boulevard lehman trike. it sat for about a year and runs really good but when i shut it down and start it after a few minutes and start riding it will go about 200 yards and shuts down as in quits running and i have to wait about 1/2 hour before it will start again. i drained all the old fuel out and put new fuel in and added a small amount of injection cleaner in tank. i had to put a new solenoid on it before i could start it when i first got it as it wouldn't turn over. any help would be appreciated thank you tricare

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Typically the symtoms you relate are to do with blocked idle circuits, blocked fuel filters etc. However since it starts and runs fine while cold this may not be the problem. Does it splutter at all when this happens or does it just quit? If the former then I would check the fuel pump, fuel flow over a set time into a container and all the filers again. Also tank venting may be faulty.

If the motor just quits with out any loss of power or throttle hesitation etc then I would look at electrcial possibilities...the coil/s may be breaking down under hot conditions...some of the freeze spray electronics people use may help to localise which one. A good check of all electronic ignition systems may be the way to go....I presume this engine has a cdi ignition system and they can break down when hot as can the ignitor.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply.i think you are right about the electronics. i'll have to get some of that freeze spray and see what happens. if i find out what it is i will post the results. i have searched for a few days and no one has posted on the internet that i could find for this problem. thank you again tricare

·
Super Moderator
12,211 Posts
"Heat soak" can affect the fuel system too......as in vapor lock.

I wonder what happens if it is started HOT and then allowed to run at idle for a few minutes ?

Does the radiator fan ever run ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi easy rider, the bike doesn't have a fan. i was checking things out today and was blowing air on the coils and the front coil seemed to let it start for a few seconds and would shut off and more air on it and would start again and run fine. i think it is a coil. the new solenoid messed up and wouldn't stop cranking the engine until i disconnected it. i will have to wait till i get the new one replaced.should be here by friday . cheap aftermarket one. may send for the oem. thank you for the reply tom

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
The trike uses the standard motors from various machines so you do have a radiator and it will have a fan...as ER says tucked in behind the actual radiator. Aside from this I would suggest the coil is playing up but it may be the HT cable or the boots.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi thanks for all the reply's . took this from another site and it states that it is a air/oil cooled engine and doesn't have a radiator. C90, VL1500 Overheat?
[HR][/HR]Question for the C90, VL1500 riders out there...Has your bike ever overheated?

Mine has not yet, but this weekend, my son will be using it for the Grand March prior to the senior prom (kids pulling up to the prom in a parade of fancy/unique cars or trucks). Near the end of the march, the bike could be idling for 20-30 minutes. Being an oil cooled motor and no electric fan, I'm worried that the bike might get too hot.

I'll be prepping the bike on Saturday morning and may opt to install a small 12vdc muffin fan behind the oil cooler, pulling air through it.

Any thoughts or advise on this one? . mine has an oil cooler but no radiator or fan. thank you for the replys tom

·
Super Moderator
12,211 Posts
hi thanks for all the reply's . took this from another site and it states that it is a air/oil cooled engine and doesn't have a radiator. C90, VL1500 Overheat?
Well shut my mouth !! :fight1:

I'm not sure that parade use would be a good idea......since the symptoms you described tends to indicate that it might be running a bit too hot already.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi all, just to update this problem that i have fixed. the new solenoid that i put on was defective it was an aftermarket one. it must have messed with the computer and shut it down. i put a new one on and now the bike starts all the time. amazing what will cause problems in electronics. just wanted to update in case someone else has the same problem. tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts