Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
New to the forum and am hoping someone has some advice to help me out with some mechanical difficulties I've been experiencing with my new (to me) bike. I am a complete newb when it comes to motorcycle maintenance and mechanics. I'm fairly mechanically inclined when it comes to autos and small engines, so assuming that experience is largely transferable.
Anyway, purchased the GS500 with 10k miles a few months back, and it has been sitting unused until this last week when I started using it as a daily commuter.
First thing I noticed was a "ticking" noise that didn't seem normal, but wasn't sure. When I investigated it a little further I found a couple youtube videos of people with the same complaint. One of which is here:
The second issue is that periodically the engine will rev at a pretty high (3-4k+ RPM) when I depress the clutch when coming to a stop. The problem seems to resolve itself when I shift back into gear, but it's somewhat concerning.
I've had a difficult time coming up with any clear, definitive solutions online except with some suspicion that I need to clean my jets and adjust my valves. Also left with the impression that it's fairly common to experience the forementioned issues when the bike has just been sitting around for some time. Should also note that I have no idea how long the bike was sitting in the prior owner's garage prior to me purchasing it.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Welcome.
ALL gas engines have "ticking" noises.
If you were sitting right on top of your car engine, you would hear them there too. ;)

I suspect that is normal but you probably need a bike mechanic to listen to it.
It does have the right amount of fresh oil.......right ??
It sounds like your idle speed is a bit too low.

The engine rev'ing can be a sign of a vacuum leak or a weak throttle return spring.
I suggest that the first thing to try there is a healthy dose of Berrymans B12 or Gumout in the gas and ride it a bit.
And NO Seafoam is NOT an acceptable substitute.

Does it have a stock air box and filter on it ?
Can you feel the tension in the throttle when you turn it......and does it seem to return to "zero" when released ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.
ALL gas engines have "ticking" noises.
Thanks smart guy :sneaky:
I was hoping I was just being on the paranoid side. The fact that a couple people on youtube were asking about the same thing just fed into that. I just don't recall hearing that initially, but I could have just been deaf to it.
It does have the right amount of fresh oil.
Probably right about the idle. Wouldn't hurt to adjust that.
I was thinking about spraying down the vacuum lines to check for a leak. Probably wouldn't hurt.
I'll give Berryman's a try despite having two partial bottles of seafoam in my truck ha.

As far as I know It does have the stock air filter and box on it. Why?
I can feel the tension in the throttle and it does return back to "zero". I imagine you were asking because you suspected the return spring?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
As far as I know It does have the stock air filter and box on it. Why?
I can feel the tension in the throttle and it does return back to "zero". I imagine you were asking because you suspected the return spring?
Yes....spring or binding cables.
A "high flow" air intake usually makes it run lean, especially at the low end and can sometimes mimic a vacuum leak.
A low idle speed will make the "normal" engine noises more pronounced.

Wouldn't hurt to use some spray carb cleaner on the linkages and down the throat too.
Might be some stickage there too.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
the ticking could be that the cam chain is worn & or the valves are out of adjustment its that simple
Both of those possible CAUSES are fairly simple.......but neither are a "simple" fix for a mechanical novice. ;)

Note: you can put your reply at the end of a quote here.......and you can edit your own posts after they are done.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Does this bike have a manual cam chain tensioner....a few Hondas did...there may be a bolt with a lock nut fitted between the cylinders...cant remeber the method so would be worth while checking on some specific sites, If its an auto chain tensioner....more than likely... it may have reached the end of its travel....simple to check they mostly consist of a ratchet and spring affiair. Pull the entire device out and it will be obvious if this is the case.

Another thing might be that the tensioner is about to click over another notch to tightenm the cam chain. The chain gets a bit noisy at this stage and will quiet down once the adjustmet occures.

If the tensioner has reached the end of its travel some fit a manual tensioner....such as an Ape one. I wouldnt do this but some do with no detrimental results.

Actually I just listened to the video...that doesnt sound anything to qworry about IMO....its a twin air cooled engine and a degree of clicking and ticking is to be expected....perhaps a valve adjustment may be all thats needed.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts