Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some but at $40.00 . No way . Any one have one to sell cheap ? or one you took off and will not use I will pay for it if reasonable .
email me thru here

Please help if you can ,
Arley

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
First, I don't think that any bike made after 1930 or so actually has a "reserve tank".

Then, knowing what year and model of bike you are working on might help.

IF you take the old one off and take it to an auto parts store or independent bike shop, they might be able to make you one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, I don't think that any bike made after 1930 or so actually has a "reserve tank".

Then, knowing what year and model of bike you are working on might help.

IF you take the old one off and take it to an auto parts store or independent bike shop, they might be able to make you one.
1985 Honda v 30 Magna . The Honda line had reserve tanks (as far as I know thru 87 or so all models . The 1/2 in. fuel line has several curves molded in one of which is a near 90 degree turn . It sort of is an off s curve coming straight down from the main tank to a 90 d curve then a slow curve to the reserve tank .I may gave a pic somewhere . Found them for $40.00 = ship .to high for me . Thinking I can make one with some copper tubing 90 degree then gently curve it the rest of the way . The other line coming out of the tank also goes to the reserve tank . Then at the bottom of said reserve tank feeds the filter then the fuel pump to the on off valve to the carbs , There is an electric signal that turns a light on telling the rider they are on reserve . Cute Huh ?
I just discovered a bigger problem and why the springs keep coming out The linkage is bent that runs the throttle's which is what was causing the problem to start with. No fuel to carbs / No the gas was there but no jets as the throttles were not working . Cute again . Well $500. and change will fix that right up . Bike is not worth putting that much more into it . Wife , my finance officer said no way Josie . Going to set on it I guess and give it away with the custom paint and custom hand tooled seat , polishing many parts and front forks and alot of other work I did . Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Found them for $40.00 = ship .to high for me
Well to each his own but I think you are about to make a mistake here.
$40 is CHEAP to get a part that fits right.

And I think that you misunderstand how "reserve" works on a motorcycle.

The main gas outlet tap sticks up into the tank a couple of inches above the bottom.......so that when the gas level gets down to that point, it stops getting gas. The "reserve" tap is at or very near the bottom.......of the exact same tank enclosure, so that you can get to the last gallon or so.
There is no reserve "tank".

Good luck getting her back on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1985 Honda v 30 Magna . The Honda line had reserve tanks (as far as I know thru 87 or so all models . The 1/2 in. fuel line has several curves molded in one of which is a near 90 degree turn . It sort of is an off s curve coming straight down from the main tank to a 90 d curve then a slow curve to the reserve tank .I may gave a pic somewhere . Found them for $40.00 = ship .to high for me . Thinking I can make one with some copper tubing 90 degree then gently curve it the rest of the way . The other line coming out of the tank also goes to the reserve tank . Then at the bottom of said reserve tank feeds the filter then the fuel pump to the on off valve to the carbs , There is an electric signal that turns a light on telling the rider they are on reserve . Cute Huh ?
I just discovered a bigger problem and why the springs keep coming out The linkage is bent that runs the throttle's which is what was causing the problem to start with. No fuel to carbs / No the gas was there but no jets as the throttles were not working . Cute again . Well $500. and change will fix that right up . Bike is not worth putting that much more into it . Wife , my finance officer said no way Josie . Going to set on it I guess and give it away with the custom paint and custom hand tooled seat , polishing many parts and front forks and alot of other work I did . View attachment 39897 View attachment 39897 View attachment 39897
Here is a pic of what is called a sub tank or in other places thru the repair manual + reserve tank . In my limited understanding of English, I choose a word that best described what I was used to using . Seems it is a reserve tank to me as it is not used until the fuel in main tank gets low then a " reserve amount of fuel " is waiting to be used to get a gas station quick .
I have put about a thousand bucks in this thing and rode it once with out incident . It will be sold hopefully with out spending much more on it . I'm retired and on a set amount of bucks to spend on stuff . We are not struggling and live pretty well . It's just the old saying " Happy Wife Happy life "
Still not sure if it is going to run as my old football injury is acting up ,and I am unable to work on it today . I didn't play FU ball just old injuries from being young a dumb .
Thanks We see what happens .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts