Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this site, and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of trading in the future to the M95 or a 1600 Marauder - used I'm sure as they are now out of production. My concern is some of the feedback I see on boards about the Kawasaki engine knocking. Now I hear that it is "normal", but a knocking engine doesn't sound good to me, coming from a car backround. Anyone have one of these bikes with the knock, and have you had any problems? I guess I could always go to a 1300 VTX, but I'd much rather have the aggressive looks of the Suzuki. Some of the Yamahas don't look too bad, but I've heard horror stories about their engineering (removing pipes to change oil, etc.). I'll probably just stick with the M50, but am intrigued by the torque of the "big boys".

·
May 2007 Member of the month
7,992 Posts
Yep,,,I would wait for the first ride of the M109 and see for yourself. My questionis it kinda looks like the Yamaha cruiser,, do you think it may be a re-badged Yamaha???? or vice versa???

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Honda VTX1300 "knocks" also -- LOTS of them do -- but it's not especially noticable except under hard acceleration or up hills when it is working harder. But you know, noisy engines seem to be quite common among the Metric V-twin bikes...besides noisy Honda 1300 V-twins, over in the Kawasaki forums people post about their noisy Vulcan engines.

So from what I've gathered, the noise DOES seem to be normal and nothing is being harmed nor is the engine self-destructing...it's really RARE to hear about these engines having any serious problems...they just go on and on.

So I don't worry about the noise...it's part of the "experience."

-- John D.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, as for that M109, I'm thinking 1600cc's is about the absolute limit - plus I don't want to pay upwards of ten grand for a bike. If I could stomach the look of the "S" model (don't like the skinny tank, etc.) I'd be all for an S83 - just the right size and displacement. Was even considering a Bandit, but I'm really a cruiser kind of guy and would have to see how they compare ergo-wise. Suzuki needs to offer more in the cruiser dept. between 800 and 1500cc's.

·
Hangin' On For Dear Life
11,304 Posts
I experianced the first engine knock in 3,500 mi. I was using 91 octane insted of 93 and going up hill with my wife and full bags this weekend in Arakansas. Needless to say the engine was being worked harder than usual. Even with the nkocking I noticed no reduction in performance. I have never had knocking under normal day to day use.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drgibson said:
I experianced the first engine knock in 3,500 mi. I was using 91 octane insted of 93 and going up hill with my wife and full bags this weekend in Arakansas. Needless to say the engine was being worked harder than usual. Even with the nkocking I noticed no reduction in performance. I have never had knocking under normal day to day use.
See, I've heard it is very common for them to knock when they are cold or at lower RPMs - engine knock, not spark knock/preignition from lower octane. From what I understand it has to do with the Kawasaki single-pin crank? Don't know much about bikes. So if you haven't heard yours knocking when it's cold or when lugging around (which is kind of what I like - no high revs for me), then maybe it wouldn't be a problem. There are some leftover '04s around for under $8000 new, and if they make it to next Spring I may be very tempted. Don't know the difference in insurance though, but I suspect it could't be too awfully much more than the 800. Chances are I'll stick with what I've got though, but it's nice to dream. And in the odd chance that I do trade up, a little research isn't a bad thing.....

·
Registered
743 Posts
The knocking that you hear and feel is from backpressure in the engine. This bike has a performance cam, lifters and head from the factory. It needs to breath. All you need to do is replace the intake, pipes and fuel controller and you’ll get rid of the knock and increase you horsepower dramatically. You can do this for about a Thousand dollars. That’s cheaper than starting all over with a new bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uechi Kid said:
The knocking that you hear and feel is from backpressure in the engine. This bike has a performance cam, lifters and head from the factory. It needs to breath. All you need to do is replace the intake, pipes and fuel controller and you’ll get rid of the knock and increase you horsepower dramatically. You can do this for about a Thousand dollars. That’s cheaper than starting all over with a new bike.
I don't have one now, I was thinking about getting one in the future. The "little" 800 is fine, but I wouldn't mind more low end grunt.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I also noticed knocking yesterday on my M50, while riding two up with my wife, seemed if I downshifted the knocking would stop. Rode to work today no knocking.

6000 miles now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Fishpart said:
I also noticed knocking yesterday on my M50, while riding two up with my wife, seemed if I downshifted the knocking would stop. Rode to work today no knocking.

6000 miles now.
Same thing. This is a bike with more preformance built in. Let it breath and you and your bike will be more happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts