Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member, and I have an issue with the seat lock on my 1972 Honda CL450. I know some of you have the same/similar bikes, so I was hoping one of you might know how to deal with this.

Seat lock seemed to "pop" when I turned the key last, but seat did not disengage and now there is no pressure on the key when I turn it counter-clockwise to open the seat. Usually you feel the resistance of the lock mechanism. I have tried lubricating it with WD-40 and letting it sit, but it seems that something has either "popped" or a spring has given out.

Any thoughts on how to get the seat open without destroying the lock? Getting a replacement? Bike is fine right now, but when I next have to charge the battery or get to my registration I'm out of luck!

Thanks in advance-

Drew

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
This sounds like the cable has either snapped or the little connector to the lock mechanism has come adrift. I have never had to release a seat in this situation so any advice I can give will be untried.

If you can raise the seat...even a tiny bit... you will need to locate the mechanism... use a very bright torch and someone else holding it. Once you can see the mechanism you will need to locate the cable pull/push point.

This needs to be either pulled or pushed. As I am not in a position to know exactly what you will see the choice of tool to do this will be dictated by what can be fitted in there. My first thought would be the longest set of long nose pliers you can get your hands on.

Needless to say it is preferable if the mechanism is a push type then you can use any stiff long device...pulling wiil need the mechanism to be gripped.

There is little else you can do in this case as to remove the mechanism means removing the seat and in order to do that you have to have it open.

One final thing. If the hinges are the loose pin type and you can get any kind of access to them try and knock the pins free to allow the seat to bit liffted more.

Before you go to all of the trouble of the above check the lock end of the release to see if the cable has come adrift from there. If it has then it is a simple case of gripping the end of the cable and pulling it. If it is a rigid rod type of linkage then you will more than likely have to push it.

Remember if a cable linkage the outer has to be kept in a fixed position while the inner is moved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. My shop manual doesn't have any references to the seat lock, which I assume would be for security reasons. I was hoping that there might be a way to disassemble the lock, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of a lock in the first place! I will see what I can find back there...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Drew PM'd me because we have the same bike, and I took some pictures of the seat and the locking mechanism for him. I thought I'd post it here as well so that everyone else can benefit from all this hard work I did ;)

me :mrgreen: said:
Here is a picture of the seat being up:

Seat lock:

My first thought when looking at the seat lock itself was to get a flat screw driver and push the latch from below. But, the underside of the latch is flat, so the only way to get enough lateral force on the latch would be to dig into the material itself. The latch is a solid triangular piece of metal; a groove dug into it probably wouldn't break it, but it would be better to avoid this method.

The way I'd do it would be to unbolt the hinges (2) from the left side of the seat, and unbolt the post that fits in the locking mechanism on the right side of the seat. That would require a 10mm socket and the right extensions to get at the nuts on those 6 bolts, but I believe they are fairly accessible.
Looking at these pictures again, I see that it might be difficult to unbolt the post on the right side of the bike because the seat lock itself will be in the way. Hopefully, a swivel socket will allow you access to those nuts; otherwise, you might have to destroy the lock or seat to remove the seat.

Let us know how this goes :bluethum:

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
From those pics it appears impossible to gain any access to the lock screws or the hinge bolts due to them being underneath the seat. The seat itself covers the bolts to the hinges and the frame will stop any attempt to get a socket in there...suppose its like that so people can't get access without a key.

The only suggestion I have is to try and lever the lock tongue out of the groove in the lock pin it locates in using a screw driver from below. You may be able to get it to move back sufficently to pop the seat. While you try this get someone to push down on the seat as the pin is spring loaded. Failing that try to locate the cable close to the tongue itself and hope to pull it enough to get it to free.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Failing that try to locate the cable close to the tongue itself and hope to pull it enough to get it to free.

Good luck
From the pics, it looks to me like the lock/latch mechanism is a small, compact unit without a cable; probably some kind of wheel/pin arrangement.

While your initial assumption is probably correct.....in that the "pop" was probably something breaking inside the latch release..... it could have just been the "normal" pop of the latch pin releasing and the reason you can't lift it up is that something is just jammed or stuck.

If you haven't already, I think I'd shake the CRAP out of the seat, pulling up AND pushing down in the process, in the hope that something will move and release it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help and advice. I actually succeeded in removing the plunger portion of the lock using Donny662's pictures. I was able to remove the two hex nuts that hold the plunger onto the seat (with some difficulty) and from there I was able to disassemble the lock. I used the standard wrench that comes in the Honda toolkit, not a socket, since it was easier to get in under the seat. The forward nut is much easier to access if you remove the side cover. The rear nut is a lot harder, since the lock mechanism extends to the rear. I was able to get a screwdriver underneath the seat and after a bit of prying and readjusting I was able to remove the rear nut and the seat popped up. The two screws on top of the lock mechanism (which you can see in Donny662's photos) allow the lock to be disassembled, though since the plunger was still in the "locked" position the whole thing was a spring-loaded jack in the box, so as soon as the last thread turned the whole thing exploded, sending parts flying everywhere. I was able to find everything, and it seems that the internal mechanism that slides the bolt back and forth broke into 3 pieces (which was the "pop" that I heard/felt). There is pretty much no way to replace just that piece, but I was able to find a replacement lock mechanism at Western Hills Honda (Cincinnati, Ohio, Honda, Power Equipment, Yamaha, ATV, Generator, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Apparel). Thanks to everyone who helped out on this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts