Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one I took on a classic Harley Davidson and I have no idea what I'm doing.
Today I was out riding and mid throttle my bike started popping and shooting flames out of the tail pipe, as it was doing this I was hearing what would sound like a rod knock in a car. After about another half mile its stopped popping and stopped "rod knocking", and everything was running normal if not smoother! I was going to stop at the gas station and desired to just make it home. As I pulled up to the house it did it again. Same popping,flames and knocking so I turned the engine off let it sit with fuel on for about 15 minutes started it back up and it still sounds bad.. Could any one give me some ideas on what's going on? Is my motor shot? Before every ride I check all my fluids and nothing was low.
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Sounds like pre ignition some iron head engines were well known for doing it....You may find running a lead replacement fuel additive clears it up. If not then suspect the timing....if applicable....points and gap....also if applicable the condenser/s, (capacitor/s) may need replacing check the points condition and if they are burned or pitted then it is highly likely to be so.

The next possible things may be faulty plugs/wires/coils...esp when hot. One other thing may be carb mid throttle issues...such as too rich at that point. This will take some figuring out but would be indicated by black fluffy spark plug tips. Stick to the suggested things to check first would be my advice.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts