Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family had several dirt bikes when I was a lot younger. My dad recently passed and I am moving 2 of these to my garage. They have been stored since the mid 80's. My Dad maintained his cars and bikes like he wanted them to last a lifetime. He would start and run them on a regular basis up until about 7 years ago.

What should I do to make sure everything is in order prior to trying to get these Started?

Change fluids, replace plugs, replace rubber, check tires.?

I am not a mechanic so I don't know much, but I am willing and able to do just about anything with instructions.

Looking for a good step by step process.

thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
While I understand your desire to get these running again.......

It might not be a practical project, no matter how much help you can find.
Parts will be REALLY hard to find.
If they are 2 cycle, expertise might be hard to find too.

I suggest that you scout around for independent bike shops in your area and ask them for advice.

At the very least, you need to drain out all the old fuel and inspect the inside of the tank for rust.
If there is a lot of corrosion inside the tank, I'd be reluctant to go any farther.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Do all of the things you mentioned and Er's suggestion re the tank etc. Check for carbon build up would be about the only other thing oh and any nests in the mufflers. Two strokes are usually easy to work on but can be difficult to get running after a long period of sitting. A specific forum may be the way to go for any specifications etc.

You may want to give the carb/s a good clean as the oily fuel will have clogged up the jets....same with the inlet system.....maybe a set of reed valves. One other thing is to check the compression....two strokes need a good bottom end seal to compress and transfer the fule/mix.

If this bike/s have an oil pump system make sure the cable from the throttle is working correctly also there should a be a mark for WOT setting it must line up with the oil pump body and a mark on the pully....this is the usual setting but yours may be different.

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts