Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm new to this. do I need to have the transmission in a certain position and my gear shifter before I put on the top of the case. and if so how would I now that gear there in by looking at them. how do I now there both in the same gear position.

Thanks for all your help

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Well.....it is a bit late to be thinking about things like that. :rolleyes:

At the very least, you need a shop manual, which might be kind of hard to find for a bike that old.
Parts might be a problem too.

I hope you can find an independent shop or mechanic close by that knows about old bikes like that.
Not sure that anybody can give you meaningful help by remote control.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UUMM this may be true. I only payed 150 for the bike (piston was rusted inside), so we are just seeing how far we can make it by putting it back together thought it would be a good learning experience for both me and my daughter if only to see what was inside. but we would like to give it our best shot. if there is any that can help.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I would fit the shifter pedal and operate the transmission through all the gears...that will allow you to see what is happening as you do so and fit the pedal and linkage in the correct position. One down and four up is the standard from that period with neutral in between first and second.. In other words if it pushes down and selects a gear then goes up five times with neutral and a gear each time its gotta be correct.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts