Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve search the forms but I can’t seem to find the answer that I’m looking for. I have a 1978 Suzuki GS 750 that I purchased about a year ago. It ran and shifted fine when I purchased it then it sat in my garage for about six months until I moved. Now I’m starting to finally work on it. I started up the other day to pull out of the garage and I was having a hard time shifting. It shifted to first fine then it was having a very hard time shifting a second and then stop shifting all together. Where should I start? It is stuck in gear now and won’t go to neutral. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Start by draining and changing the oil. Then check the clutch pack is separating...also you may find it will shift easier if you roll the bike a little....bike gearboxes can be difficult to select if they are not moving slightly...ie rocking the bike back and forwards. You may find the clutch has 'glued 'up due to the six months sitting. Finaly, I cant remember if the clutch is cable or hydraulic. The latter may be that the cable is sticky or the linkage needs adjusting/lubing. Hydraulic clutches if left can get reluctant to work due to the slave cylinder push rod being corroded in position or similar. The clutch lever should be smooth and even anything less indicates a problem with either the cable/hydraulic system, acuator mechanism or the clutch pack.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
What he said.
This is often a sign that the clutch is dragging or is stuck.
Have you tried shifting with the engine OFF and maybe rocking it a little ?
If it works that way, then you very likely have a clutch problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts