Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Iv been wanting to get a cb for a while now and found a good project bike for the winter for sale near me and would like some second opinions on it before I pull the trigger on it this weekend. So on the add it says that the bike does run! But it leaks a bit of gas and only runs when the choke is half on. I was thinking maybe that's because of carbon build up in the carb or engine?Other than that it needs a new battery. Hes asking 600 for it which I think is pretty fair. I was gonna buy and bring a compression tester for the engine with me when I go look at it and was wondering if that would be a good idea or not. Cosmetically it looks like it's in pretty good shape the chrome looks good and no rust that I can see. It has the vetter fairing on the front too which I love.Let me know your thoughts if theres anything specific I should check when I look at it. Thanks -Eli

·
Super Moderator
12,408 Posts
Probably a good gamble.
Does it have a stock airbox and filter ?
If so, then there probably are deposits in the carb(s).
A good dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout in the gas might fix that with a little time running.
Probably should drain out the old gas first.......and if there is a fuel filter, replace that too.

The leaking gas probably means that the rubber hoses are rotting away......and if/when it runs good, they ALL should be replaced.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts