Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello wide world of bike enthusiasts. I have a small problem I was hoping I could find the solution to. I have a 1978 Honda xl175 that I've owned for about 10 years. It has been one of the most reliable bikes let alone one of the most fun. The bike has 4100 original miles, and everything else on the bike is completely original (minus oil and tubes :)) But the problem is, when I accelerate quickly, the bike spits and sputters while it tries to rev up, eventually it will reach its goal. I recently added a fuel system cleaner, taken the carb off and cleaned it out thoroughly, cleaned both jets, replaced the spark plug and boot, and cleaned the air filter. When all said and done it still had the same problem!! I am becoming quite frustrated and sad seeing my precious bike having this problem. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I will add pictures soon!Thank you for looking!

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Wild guesses:
Collapsed baffles in muffler, making extra restriction.
Failed acceleration pump in the carb.......if it has one.
Sticky mechanical timing advance......if it has such a thing.
And finally, your idle speed hasn't dropped down below spec. has it ??
You didn't recently decide to put "premium" gas in it, did you ??
Is it all stock ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Easy Rider. Your options have given me a few clues and the one that I thinkn it may be is the muffler. Any chance you would know where I could purchase a full exhaust kit for it? The idle speed is very close to spec (no tachometer). There was a leak one of the exhaust joints I re sealed and it made the idle better. Is there a good website to get any parts for older Hondas?

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Any chance you would know where I could purchase a full exhaust kit for it?
No, I don't. That will likely be a difficult for a bike that old.
If that really is the problem, you might have to "adapt" something.

P.S. Cleaned the air filter ?? What type is it ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts