Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 1980 suzuki 550e. In great shape overall. This is my first bike. I took a friend with me so he could ride it and it rode fine. The following day it fired right up I rode it a bit then parked it to do other stuff. When I went to start it again after a few hrs it would just crank and cough but no start. I took the fuel lines off blew them out and it started up and ran ok, didnt take it for a ride just idle for around 20 min. The following day same issue. Tries to start but no start. It will run for a second or two after sitting for awhile then cut out. Like it's not getting fuel. There was a blockage in the main fuel line when I blew it out. Any suggestions? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Let's hope that it has a fuel filter....at least at the inlet of the carb(s).....and that is now clogged up.
If it does not have a fuel filter, part of that "gunk" probably now is INSIDE the carbs.

Typically the carbs have a drain screw in the bottom of the bowl.
With the petcock set to "PRIme", you should be able to open the drain screw and get a good trickle of fuel to flow.

And....gotta say: You are sure that the fuel is turned ON and the tank is not empty......right ??
Are you using the choke and NOT opening the throttle when trying to start ??

Before tearing anything apart, you might want to try a double shot of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas but it might not do any good unless you can get it to run long enough to get INTO the carbs. See note about the drain plug; that should at least get the cleaner into the bowls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I filled it with gas. There is no petcock on the shutoff but like I said after blowing out the lines it ran fine for some time until I shut it off. I'm ordering a new shutoff for it. I dont see any type of filter on it any where. I put a can of sea foam in the tank and let it run for around 20min trying to get it all cleaned out. I'll get a filter for it as well when I put the new shutoff on. Sounds like really it just needs to be run then?

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I don't intend for this to be insulting but it appears that you aren't listening closely enough.

SeaFoam is NOT a good fuel system cleaner, despite their marketing claims.
The "petcock" IS the shutoff. Unless it has a screen inside, it is not likely to have anything to do with the problem.
What positions does it have.....just OFF and ON ? Is there a vacuum hose going to it ??

Replacing parts just on a wild guess sometimes makes matters worse instead of better.

And finally.....again.....draining the carb bowls is important because if there is any water in the fuel, THAT is where it will settle.

And yes, getting it to run a little while is important once you get cleaner into the fuel.
And the choke.......what about using the choke ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't intend for this to be insulting but it appears that you aren't listening closely enough.

The "petcock" IS the shutoff. Unless it has a screen inside, it is not likely to have anything to do with the problem.
What positions does it have.....just OFF and ON ? Is there a vacuum hose going to it ??

Replacing parts just on a wild guess sometimes makes matters worse instead of better.

And finally.....again.....draining the carb bowls is important because if there is any water in the fuel, THAT is where it will settle.

And yes, getting it to run a little while is important once you get cleaner into the fuel.
You to are not listening. There is no petcock on the shutoff as I said. I'm not just throwing parts at it. That part is broken. There is no filter hence the reason to put on a filter when I do the new shutoff. I will drain the carbs and see what happens with that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Also as I had said I put the seafoam in before posting here. I read what you said but had already done something else. There is a vaccum hose to it which is not clogged and causes fuel to come out of the main line if sucked on.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
SIGH.
What exactly do you think a "petcock" IS ???

But yes, now that you have provided additional details, it does appear that the fuel shutoff mechanism.....which is also commonly called a petcock......is broken. The automatic diaphragm inside it is leaking and allowing raw fuel into the engine.....and/or not turning the gas on like it should.

Since you have that kind of petcock, it should have a PRIme setting.
If you switch it to prime, pull the vacuum hose off and plug it, then there is a good chance that it will run normally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SIGH.
What exactly do you think a "petcock" IS ???

But yes, now that you have provided additional details, it does appear that the fuel shutoff mechanism.....which is also commonly called a petcock......is broken. The automatic diaphragm inside it is leaking and allowing raw fuel into the engine.....and/or not turning the gas on like it should.

Since you have that kind of petcock, it should have a PRIme setting.
If you switch it to prime, pull the vacuum hose off and plug it, then there is a good chance that it will run normally.
The petcock is the part to actually turn. As I said there isnt one on it. It is broken off. There is nothing for me to turn to pri like I said several times. Hence the reason I am replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
As I said there isnt one on it. It is broken off. There is nothing for me to turn to pri like I said several times.
You said no such thing.
Not several times.
Not even once.
Go back and review your posts.

The petcock is the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY that brings gas out of the tank and turns it off and on. Referring to the "lever" as a petcock is a HUGE confusion factor.

I quit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said no such thing.
Not several times.
Not even once.
Go back and review your posts.

The petcock is the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY that brings gas out of the tank and turns it off and on. Referring to the "lever" as a petcock is a HUGE confusion factor.

I quit.
You in fact need to go back and read I said there is nothing to turn atleast 3 times. Instead of answering what is stopping up the lines you are worried about pointless things. You are not listening to the problem just throwing useless opinions that dont pertain to my problem. Take your own advice and pay attention to what is written.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I said there is nothing to turn atleast 3 times. Instead of answering what is stopping up the lines you are worried about pointless things.
I am trying to help and you are fighting me at every turn.

Saying "there is nothing there to turn" is QUITE different than saying "the lever to turn is broken off and missing."
Do you REALLY not understand the huge difference ?

It is HIGHLY likely that what is "stopping up the lines" has something to do with the broken petcock ........because it is BROKEN. Further evidence is what you said about gas coming through the vacuum line.

BUT.....you don't have to take my advice.
But you DO have to learn to play nice.

Any further attacks on someone who is trying to help will result in your expulsion.
Chill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am trying to help and you are fighting me at every turn.

Saying "there is nothing there to turn" is QUITE different than saying "the lever to turn is broken off and missing."
Do you REALLY not understand the huge difference ?

It is HIGHLY likely that what is "stopping up the lines" has something to do with the broken petcock ........because it is BROKEN. Further evidence is what you said about gas coming through the vacuum line.

BUT.....you don't have to take my advice.
But you DO have to learn to play nice.

Any further attacks on someone who is trying to help will result in your expulsion.
Chill.
Again I never said fuel was coming from the vaccum line, and again you are not reading what I wrote. You said I dont need a new one when I said there is nothing there to turn, now you are saying I need a new one. Nothing has changed. And now you want to threaten me because you are not reading what I wrote? You feel big now? What a joke.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
I am really sorry to give this guy a vacation......because it likely isn't his fault that he doesn't have a good command of the English language......but biting the hand that feeds you is something he needs to learn NOT to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just an FYI-some of the GS550s came with a vacuum petcock that did not have a valve to turn and select between On,Reserve,and Prime. It was used on bikes that had a fuel guage. Looking at the petcock it could seem as if the lever had broken off when in fact there never was one. Ask for pictures next time so that confusion is kept to a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Just an FYI-some of the GS550s came with a vacuum petcock that did not have a valve to turn and select between On,Reserve,and Prime. It was used on bikes that had a fuel guage.
I hope that model also had a fuel pump.
A gravity feed system with an automatic shutoff and without a prime setting can be a problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts