Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 110 that has 3k on it. I would say, 99% stock now. I mean I made a ft mud flap and put a cross bar on the handlebar, but that is about it. What I would like is to get it ready to GO.

I would like to have something like Hyperlights on the rear, but it is a 6v system??? Maybe even more light up front. Then I would like to have a better chain guard like the new 125, but will there's fit? Also some side racks so I could carry a top bag / saddlebag system. And to get rid of that heel/toe shifter - hate that thing.Working on suspension ft & rear now.
Hummm, what else? OH, a better seat like the Diablo made for the 125's & raise the ft fender up a bit, and add a rear mud flap. And a better chain. Humm,There are 125ct high fender brackets??

I look at the new 125's and it seems there seat should fit and perhaps the chain guard. What else???

If you have any info on the things I have mentioned or other up grades I could do, please respond.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
If you have any info on the things I have mentioned or other up grades I could do, please respond.
That bike wasn't made for "trips".......except to work or the store and back.
I would "upgrade" it to something with at least twice the displacement because once you get it loaded with some luggage or a passenger, you will be lucky if it will climb the little hill to go over a railroad overpass. Seriously.

I did a ~2000 mile road trip on a 250 and it was fun but it was just BARELY adequate.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
I would like to have something like Hyperlights on the rear, but it is a 6v system??? Maybe even more light up front.

And to get rid of that heel/toe shifter - hate that thing.
Does it have a battery and electric start ?

Many/most/all of those older 6V systems would just BARELY run the stock lights and adding more was a dangerous undertaking. Overloading the magneto/generator often would burn it out......or drop the voltage enough so it wouldn't run.

The heel/toe shifter has been standard in the industry for close to 100 years now.
What exactly do you think you could replace it with ?

·
Banned
61 Posts
WELCOME JJC ! .

You'll be surprised and well pleased to find that this bike is in fact good for long road trips -IF- :

You leave it mostly stock and you learn to service it your ownself because
no dealer or shop will ever do it right even if they knew what & how to do it .

Before anything else YOU personally need to adjust the valves to .004" engine stone cold .

Then you need to check the ignition timing, it MUST be on the "F" mark (alternator) and NOT the "T" mark, that is used to adjust the valves .

Of course, you'll want to change the oil with the engine blistering hot using multi-viscosity fully synthetic oil .

Yes, the system is only 6 volts and as mentioned it's only adequate to support what the bike came with .

I highly suggest getting an AMG typ battery and installing it .

For the year , I use a blinking red light, like the ones used by bicyclists ~ in my state this is flat illegal but so far no cops have jazzed me about it .

The taillight bulb can and should be swapped out for an LED one, this will make the running light as bright as the current brake light and the brake light even brighter .

You're
kinda stuck with the headlight, I use a non D.O.T. spec. European headlight that's designed to fit the CT and is MUCH brighter .

They come with a Chinese bulb that always seems to fail far from home in the middle of the night so I carry a spare one and I use Japanese made for both .

Panniers, or 'saddle bags' are sold everywhere, you just toss 'em over the rack and if you're smart you'll tie them to the rack .

The heal toe shifter is great once you adjust it to suit YOUR FEET, give it a try .

If you do these basic things you'll find that 350 mile days are possible .

As far as the seat, maybe try the gel pad sold for wheel chairs ? . looks funny but it great for my old bones .

Let us know how it goes, your general travel plans etc. .

If you're skinny and don't wight much this bike -can- be ridden on the freeway but this is VERY dangerous due to the over taking speeds of other vehicles .

·
Banned
61 Posts
Glad to see you're thinking ! .

It only takes a quart so I do 1,000 mile HOT OIL CHANGES, one of my old Hondas Tiddlers from the 1960's had 40,000 hard miles on it when I last rode it and no smoke .

OIL IS THE CHEAPEST MECHANIC .

These bikes have a centrifugal oil filter in the center of the AutoClutch, few have ever been serviced so keeping fresh oil in it is really important .

I've opened up lots of one owner dealer serviced CT's that were full of sludge because lazy "mechanics" didn't do the job properly .

You've still
not detailed your trip plans, I don't know how soon you plan to go nor your mechanical ability .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
- You have any make that matches the size?

For the year , I use a blinking red light, like the ones used by bicyclists ~ in my state this is flat illegal but so far no cops have jazzed me about it .
-Isn'tthere a way to step down 12v to 6v and then run somthing like hyperlights, which are 12v?

The taillight bulb can and should be swapped out for an LED one, this will make the running light as bright as the current brake light and the brake light even brighter .
-will do

You're
kinda stuck with the headlight, I use a non D.O.T. spec. European headlight that's designed to fit the CT and is MUCH brighter .
-I'll go for that. Can you direct me to one?

Panniers, or 'saddle bags' are sold everywhere, you just toss 'em over the rack and if you're smart you'll tie them to the rack .
-but there is no support for the sides of the rear rack.

The heal toe shifter is great once you adjust it to suit YOUR FEET, give it a try .
-got to go. can't stand it. any news on just a toe one as the ct125 guys are using?

Well, i'm not going to Alaska like Ari from Revzilla did, but I will figure out somthing
I am trying to read the ct125 stuff because they seem to be able to source shifters, springs, shocks. Can't see a ct125, but perhaps some of this stuff will work on a ct110???????

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
I am trying to read the ct125 stuff because they seem to be able to source shifters, springs, shocks. Can't see a ct125, but perhaps some of this stuff will work on a ct110???????
It seems that you are focused on what YOU think is important and aren't listening to the voices of experience.
I wish you luck. You likely will need it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it have a battery and electric start ?

Many/most/all of those older 6V systems would just BARELY run the stock lights and adding more was a dangerous undertaking. Overloading the magneto/generator often would burn it out......or drop the voltage enough so it wouldn't run.

The heel/toe shifter has been standard in the industry for close to 100 years now.
What exactly do you think you could replace it with ?
battery, kick start.
An LED hyperlight type for the rear would not draw much but they are 12v.
The 125 guys are finding just toe shifters for their bikes. I would like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WELCOME JJC ! .

You'll be surprised and well pleased to find that this bike is in fact good for long road trips -IF- :

You leave it mostly stock and you learn to service it your ownself because
no dealer or shop will ever do it right even if they knew what & how to do it .

Before anything else YOU personally need to adjust the valves to .004" engine stone cold .

Then you need to check the ignition timing, it MUST be on the "F" mark (alternator) and NOT the "T" mark, that is used to adjust the valves .

Of course, you'll want to change the oil with the engine blistering hot using multi-viscosity fully synthetic oil .

Yes, the system is only 6 volts and as mentioned it's only adequate to support what the bike came with .

You're

They come with a Chinese bulb that always seems to fail far from home in the middle of the night so I carry a spare one and I use Japanese made for both .

If you do these basic things you'll find that 350 mile days are possible .

As far as the seat, maybe try the gel pad sold for wheel chairs ? . looks funny but it great for my old bones .

Let us know how it goes, your general travel plans etc. .

If you're skinny and don't wight much this bike -can- be ridden on the freeway but this is VERY dangerous due to the over taking speeds of other vehicles .
Can you direct me to an EU headlight please?
Also, do you have the AMG batery figured out? Which one and from where?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I quit.
I thought I could help a little here.......but it's obvious that I can't.
I take all info into account. Please don't let questioning anything as a knock against your knowledge.Just looking for clarification to follow up perhaps on suggestions.
EXP - my rear light reflector inside the lens is degraded so looking for suggestions.
Exp 2 - your statement, just cut off the rear of the shift lever. that would be good,but it seems I need a longer shifter. BTY - I have tried using the heel/toe,but it just doesn't work for me do I continue to search for another shifter.
I saw the 125 guys were finding some but not being able to see a 125, I can't figure if I can use what they have found. So, more questions. But all info is gratefully received unless stupid.
Search continues.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts