Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
If you have any info on the things I have mentioned or other up grades I could do, please respond.
That bike wasn't made for "trips".......except to work or the store and back.
I would "upgrade" it to something with at least twice the displacement because once you get it loaded with some luggage or a passenger, you will be lucky if it will climb the little hill to go over a railroad overpass. Seriously.

I did a ~2000 mile road trip on a 250 and it was fun but it was just BARELY adequate.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
I would like to have something like Hyperlights on the rear, but it is a 6v system??? Maybe even more light up front.

And to get rid of that heel/toe shifter - hate that thing.
Does it have a battery and electric start ?

Many/most/all of those older 6V systems would just BARELY run the stock lights and adding more was a dangerous undertaking. Overloading the magneto/generator often would burn it out......or drop the voltage enough so it wouldn't run.

The heel/toe shifter has been standard in the industry for close to 100 years now.
What exactly do you think you could replace it with ?

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
I am trying to read the ct125 stuff because they seem to be able to source shifters, springs, shocks. Can't see a ct125, but perhaps some of this stuff will work on a ct110???????
It seems that you are focused on what YOU think is important and aren't listening to the voices of experience.
I wish you luck. You likely will need it.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
If you can help, I always appreciate it
Once more with feeling:
I (we) were NOT talking about a 125.
250 minimum for road trips, maybe a bit more.

You NEED to be a bit more practical here.
Taking an under- powered bike out on a busy highway can get you KILLED.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
The battery, how you charge it makes all the difference ~ most use a chearger that's clearly marked : CAR / BOAT / MOTOCYCLE BATTERY CHARGER .

Those are not acceptable to charge Moto batteries unless you're using a car battery (BIG) .

Look at the small print on your battery charger, it must say either 1/4 ampere or 500 milliamps on it or it will ruin your new battery quickly .
IF you have a charger that really is fully automatic (tender type), then the amperage capacity makes absolutely NO difference. One of a capacity from 2 to 4 amps is more versatile.
Trust me on this. I've been doing this for near to 60 years.

If he is going to be doing electrical work the first thing he needs is a multi-meter.
As I said before, the onboard charging system would just BARELY keep the battery up with the stock lights.
Any additions or changes likely means that it would slowly drain even if ridden regularly.

The battery needs to be charged and tested.
The charging voltage needs to be tested.
IF the battery is over 3 years old, it might be bad.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
I hate to disagree but forcing 2 amperes into a 5 A.H. battery will certainly kill it in short order .
Like a LOT of other people, you don't understand electricity very good.

A battery charger will not "force" anything into a battery, assuming that it is the right voltage.

The current rating is the maximum current that it will deliver to a DEAD battery.
That has nothing to do with what it will supply to a partially or fully charged one.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
One ampere is still too much current for that tiny battery .
Just stop it please.
That is NOT true.

The charger will supply ONLY what the battery needs, up to a maximum of 1 amp.
Which, incidentally is not too much either if the battery is substantially discharged.
The charging current will drop as the battery charges up.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
I was under the impression that the max out out is 1 amp from the charger, but the battery will only draw what it needs.
Absolutely right.

Where as a float charger will/can over charge a battery.
I think you are talking about a trickle charger here.
Many automatic tender type chargers do not turn on and off but drop down to a maintenance level float voltage.

The auto desulsifyer mode is an added benifit
Desulfating a battery is mostly a myth.
Especially for AGM batteries that have to be REALLY abused for sulfation to be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
I understand electricity well, not 'good' ;) .

I too have been working as a Mechanic for well over 50 years and I also have factory and dealer training not just by guess or by gosh experience .

The correct battery charger is 1/4 ampere or less,
It appears that you don't have a good understanding of proper English usage either.

What you are saying is not surprising since most "mechanics" don't have a good understanding of electricity. :oops:

So.....I have been an Electronics Engineering Technician for about 60 years now, part of that at Bell Labs.
Some of what you are saying is just simply WRONG.

Like your 1/4 amp charger........commonly called trickle chargers.
They have no voltage control or current regulation and are EXACTLY the ones to avoid because continuous use over a long time can COOK a battery. Their peak voltage output to a fully charged battery usually is MORE than 15 volts.

So sure, we can continue. As long as you try to learn something from the discussion.
if not, every time you make an incorrect assertion, I will be happy to correct it.

Giving others who need help bad advice is not a nice thing to do.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
Sigh .

Re read YOUR use of the word 'good' in post #33 : "Like a LOT of other people, you don't understand electricity very good."

I rest my case .
This is not the 1940s.
My use of the word good in that way is perfectly acceptable these days.
And maybe even preferred.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
Anyway, I will look around for a smaller output charger with a 'smart' feature/brain. Everything will be hooked up this weekend.
STOP please.
If it really is an automatic "smart" charger, the max. rated output
DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.
NONE, NADA, ZIP.
You are listening to the wrong advice here.

·
Super Moderator
14,037 Posts
I also have loads of other training but let's try and keep this simple .
OK, it can't be much more simple than this:
Your advice is WRONG.
Your attitude stinks.

I am deleting the post that this reply refers to...........
And if you state one more time that an automatic battery charger with a peak capacity that is too high can somehow damage a battery.......you account will be blocked permanently.

Is that simple enough for you ??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts