Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
I was under the impression that the max out out is 1 amp from the charger, but the battery will only draw what it needs.
Absolutely right.

Where as a float charger will/can over charge a battery.
I think you are talking about a trickle charger here.
Many automatic tender type chargers do not turn on and off but drop down to a maintenance level float voltage.

The auto desulsifyer mode is an added benifit
Desulfating a battery is mostly a myth.
Especially for AGM batteries that have to be REALLY abused for sulfation to be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
I understand electricity well, not 'good' ;) .

I too have been working as a Mechanic for well over 50 years and I also have factory and dealer training not just by guess or by gosh experience .

The correct battery charger is 1/4 ampere or less,
It appears that you don't have a good understanding of proper English usage either.

What you are saying is not surprising since most "mechanics" don't have a good understanding of electricity. :oops:

So.....I have been an Electronics Engineering Technician for about 60 years now, part of that at Bell Labs.
Some of what you are saying is just simply WRONG.

Like your 1/4 amp charger........commonly called trickle chargers.
They have no voltage control or current regulation and are EXACTLY the ones to avoid because continuous use over a long time can COOK a battery. Their peak voltage output to a fully charged battery usually is MORE than 15 volts.

So sure, we can continue. As long as you try to learn something from the discussion.
if not, every time you make an incorrect assertion, I will be happy to correct it.

Giving others who need help bad advice is not a nice thing to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, if I understand correctly, you figure my charger is to strong.
I will look for another. In fact,may have one but it is a straight float charger, nothing smart about it.
My bike was built 7/81 so they are calling it a 1982.
The seat is a Diablo125 seat. I just altered it for my bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Shoot i said 'float charger' when I should of said 'trickle' charger. That is probably what I have laying around with less of an output. Just what i was trying to avoid because of the there potential over charging issue.
Anyway, I will look around for a smaller output charger with a 'smart' feature/brain. Everything will be hooked up this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
Anyway, I will look around for a smaller output charger with a 'smart' feature/brain. Everything will be hooked up this weekend.
STOP please.
If it really is an automatic "smart" charger, the max. rated output
DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.
NONE, NADA, ZIP.
You are listening to the wrong advice here.

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
I also have loads of other training but let's try and keep this simple .
OK, it can't be much more simple than this:
Your advice is WRONG.
Your attitude stinks.

I am deleting the post that this reply refers to...........
And if you state one more time that an automatic battery charger with a peak capacity that is too high can somehow damage a battery.......you account will be blocked permanently.

Is that simple enough for you ??

·
Banned
61 Posts
EDIT :

I made a direct response but the proper answer is :

This is supposed to be a thread about helping a guy get an old Motocycle ready for use, not a p*$$ing contest by one who's mis using his bully pulpit and hasn't even tried to help the original poster, my apologies to all offended .

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
No Sir ~ I never said that, you did .
So you did not make this post ??

Okay, unlike others, when I say "I'm out," I'm actually out .
I am getting REAL tired of your crap.
I am trying to help him. First by giving him factual information and second by pointing out when someone else doesn't have a clue.

Now it is time for you to STOP.
If not, I will help you stop.
Do I need to explain that ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Well, been off line a bit(I don't sit at a computer) working on my ct 110 elect.
I put in a Pardue LED system and straightened out some charging problems.

On to a bit stiffer rear suspension. Got some on order.

So the next (I think ) real thing I have to check on is the tapits. Only have 3k on the bike, but it is 1981. Wait a min, age should not matter on mechanical wear. Only the mileage. However at 3k perhaps it is time to set them??

Need to build my rear side rack extensions. Saw great video of a guy building some extensions in AU. I will copy that when I get some 1" flat bar to bend

Perhaps a handlebar bag or down tube pack. Need rack for that, but perhaps could build one.

Still would like a better chain guard like the ct125 one. Are you sure I can't bolt one up?

Done:
Tires are new
oil is good
air cleaner is new
cables are good
chain is factory (would like an up grade). Any suggestions?
ft forks have been apart cleaned & drained & refilled with ATF.
new clutch plates. (prior owner fried them pulling 250+ lbs riding 2 up)
lights are new
USB outlet installed (Pardue)
HAM antenna hooked up
GPS mt ready

Pending:
tapits
rear side rack
down tube rack
chain guard
spunk - the ability to take adversity in stride

41 - 60 of 65 Posts