Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I recently got a 1981 Suzuki gn400 from my grandfather in a really bad shape, it's a Kickstart only and only half the lights and wiring gets power, it starts up only when carb cleaner is sprayed in the carb to use as fuel and will not idle, it also had a couple mods done when it was in CHP service leaving some wires loose with nowhere to go, any ideas where I should start with this mess?
Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Alas, message groups like this are NOT designed to help much with projects of that scope.
You really need someone to BE there to help.

If you really don't know where to start AND don't know anyone who does, it might be a better plan to sell it for parts and get something in a little better condition.

Parts for a 30 year old bike will be REALLY hard to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, this is a special family bike and I don't want to sell it, I'm going to rebuild the carb because I think that's where the problem is but thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1 Posts
First get a repair or shop manual, be able to read the color code for the wires and get the wiring to the ignition and brake lights working first. If you have a problem identifying the color, trace the wire from the fuse block over to the accessory. Use wire large enough for the power to get to the lights and ignition, don't skimp here, but don't go overboard on wire size. The magneto coils may be toast (I had to change my magneto coil).
Carbs: a complete strip down and cleaning should help here. Also, keep in mind Suzuki's love to be on full enrichment until they are warmed up. Don't push the choke in too fast.
If all goes well, get new tires, don't trust anything over 5 years - they dry rot fast. Change the oil - 10W-40 and filter, get the old crud out of there.
Probably looking at a 6 month project. Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts