Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyall,

Just picked up a 1981 SR250 barn find, it's pretty rough...perfect to keep me busy in the garage while the wife watches yet another "Dateline". It seems to have compression and will turn over, but I don't have a tank or petcock. I'm not seeing a specific tank available to buy for that model on ebay...anyone know what other tanks will fit on the '81 SR250?

Thanks,

Dev

· Registered
64 Posts
part #3Y6-24110-00-63 or 3Y6-24110-10-02 might help the search the 63 is color red
is it a 250h or 250th

http://suzuki.centralfloridapowersports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=3931259&category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=1981&fveh=176974
has the tank 500$

you can use a peanut tank.

make or buy 40$an axulirilly tank untill you get it ready to go you can use a lawn mower tank as well this is just while you are fixing and tuning it not to ride with

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm definitely not in the market for a new tank, and it doesn't have to be a SR250. Just something that fits and looks cool, cafe-ish. I think a 83 Virago tank will be plug and play. There's a 83 Midnight Special tank I found that has a petcock and cap, but no key. How hard is it to pop a cap without the key without screwing it all up? I'm located in northwestern Lower Michigan, Petoskey/Traverse City area.

· Registered
64 Posts
I am told they can be picked easy enough if it is not seized. if the seller has a key for ignition the numbers off of the key or bottom of ignition switch is all you need to make a key. try a local locksmith if needed.
you can drill out the key mech .

I did not think you would want a new tank.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks XJ, I've got a tank from a '83 xv750mk Midnight Special...looks VERY close to what I need, I'm hoping I won't have to mess around with it too much! Coming with petcock and cap - but the cap is locked with no key :( I'm gonna have to bone up on my lock picking skills...

I also ordered a Micron "Superbar" Cafe style handlebar...I'm super stoked! I have a battery coming too, so it's hurry up and wait for deliver. Plenty of other stuff to do though! I'm rehabing cables, taking off extraneous pieces and parts, and I have a seat to make! If I can remember the dang password to my FTP site I'll get pics up.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's not optimal, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Just mocked up, still need to fasten it all down, figure out the petcock. Check out that seat! It's the old one butchered down and covered with $9 worth of Joanne Fabrics and braided 20lb test :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts