Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and also new to motorcycles; that doesn't mean I'm not good with wrench. I recently bought a 1982 Suzuki GS650L that needed carbs tuned and most likely a new battery. The bike started up and ran for a few moments until it died out. I've gone through all the steps. I charged the battery to full and had some luck with the engine coughing, but not starting. I checked my fuel flow and it was flowing fine. When checking the plugs they had a black layer of what I assumed to be oil on them. New plugs have been put in and it still won't start for me. I've checked the spark on the plugs and it was pretty weak, even on the new plugs. But now when I try cranking the engine, I hear something like air is escaping from somewhere. I want to do my own work on the bike, but after frustration I'm getting tempted to pop it over to a shop, which I would like to avoid if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to Autozone and got my battery checked. Turns out under load it was only outputting 8 volts. Bought a new one, put it in and she fired right up! I know no one replied, but I appreciate anyone who at least looked at this and look forward to coming here for help on any more issues I come across in the future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would suggest checking the charging system while ur at it just to be sure. If the previous owner had a charging issue they may not have known and a low voltage ignition system WILL fowl plugs as you now know. I didnt realize that Auto Zone stocked powersports batteries! Thanx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.