Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I have an 82 xj650 that I tore down to the frame over the winter to paint now having some probs with it first is the clutch isn't working if I have it in gear and pull the clutch in I cant free wheel it even if I lift the clutch arm that comes out of the trans

second is I have interment spark I have power and ground to the coil and it ran fine before I tore apart so I cant think the coil is bad

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
42 Posts
U should still be able to shift gears by rotating rear wheel back and forth. Does wheel rotate freely at neutral?(indicated on gauges). If not, the plates have hydro-wedged themselves together. You can break free by rocking bike back and forth several times. You shouldn't be able to lift clutch arm that comes out of clutch cover. without clutch cable and lever u shouldn't be able to make clutch disengage. It sounds like the pinion and gear inside cover and at end of clutch assembly are NOT engaging. Intermittent spark may be due to poor frame ground contact after painting. Thoroughly remove paint from frame ground point. This year of machine may also have a strap ground from engine to frame. Make sure the contact areas of this is clean and free of paint as well. And as always on older machines, START WITH A FRESHLY CHARGED BATTERY. A loose connection in wiring can cause symptom as well. Insure the battery cables are absolutely installed and making good , clean contact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the wheel is fee in neutral. if I have it in gear hold the clutch and break in and crank it it starts to move but then it will start to free wheel.I can lift the clutch arm with channel locks and it is stiff.and I will check my ground points may just try and run a new ground from the block to the frame to see it that helps. thanks for the tips

1 - 3 of 3 Posts