Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my bike apart, at 14,000 miles (somehow) it desperately needed a base gasket and valve cover gasket, so then obviously, by default, a head gasket. it also needed a stator coil as the bike was not charging the battery while riding. (it was pissing oil beneath the jug, and out the valve cover, badly, almost 2 quarts a week.)

anyways, so I did all of this, and the bike is dry now (THANK GOD) and I put a new stator in it, and it worked perfectly, I had the bike hooked up to a garbage battery from last year, I'd pop start the bike, and put it in neutral, and i could flick it into high beams, turn the directionals on, and hit the horn at idle, and there was no noticeable difference in luminosity of anything, be it lights, horn, engine running speed. I continued to ride it approx 100 miles, without any charging problems, and I put a brand new battery in it.

within 2 days, the bike was AGAIN not charging anymore at all now though, I am getting ZERO volts coming from all 3 leads off the stator.

I am aware that these bikes are apparently plagued with electrical problems, but I dont want to pull the cover apart again just to find out the stator is still intact if it's going to be a bad ground somewhere, I guess I'm curious for some input who has experience dealing with this bike,

I love it, it's a riot and INCREDIBLE on gas, but the not charging thing is really pissing me off!!! :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and i am obviously a fiirst time poster, my name is josh , I am a welder/contractor/builder/student loan bill collector/mechanic, from WNY.

I hope to call this forum a home :)

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
, I am getting ZERO volts coming from all 3 leads off the stator.
How are you making that measurement exactly ?
Meter needs to be on AC volts and you measure across each pair of wires comming off the stator......with it disconnected.
Then you shut everything off, still disconnected and measure the resistance of each output lead to ground.

Did you charge the new battery before installing it ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i charged the battery, i put my volt meter on AC 20, it's showing fluctuation from 40-70 volts?! I think i'm doing it right, last time a friend of mine told me i was registering 0 voltage,

my volt meter has an ohm selector, but i have no idea how to use it, each setting i pick is unresponsive to anything, it just shows a big "1" and doesn't react when put to the leads and ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm home on lunch right now, but i get home around 9 est, I'll check back and fill you all in. thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
, it's showing fluctuation from 40-70 volts?!

doesn't react when put to the leads and ground.
Well except for the part about the "friend and 0 volts", all of that sounds pretty normal.
You should be getting from 40 to 70 volts AC out of each winding of the stator.........and it should NOT show any connection to ground.

Just for grins, when you set the meter to ohms and touch the meter leads together, what happens ??

Next, you need to measure the battery voltage, that's DC, connect everything back together and the see if the battery voltage changes when the engine runs at a good clip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my volt meter's ability to measure resistance is broken, the ohm selector is shorted out or something,

I just have to measure from the lead coming from the stator to a ground, would the negative battery terminal work? I have to find someone who has a workin ohm-meter, but
what measurements in ohms should I be looking for,..
all I know is that the stator is 3 phase for low, mid and high RPMs,... I think.

also, is there any chance it could be the regulator?

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
but what measurements in ohms should I be looking for,..

all I know is that the stator is 3 phase for low, mid and high RPMs,...

also, is there any chance it could be the regulator?
There should NOT be a connection from the stator to ground.
With one meter lead on a good ground....or the neg. battery post.....nothing should happen when you touch each of the stator outputs (with it unplugged and OFF, that is).
To see what a failure looks like, tough the meter leads together; that is a short.

All 3 phases work all the time. The regulator does the regulating.

There could be a probem with the regulator.....but at this point, I think you need to connect everything back and start over with some battery measurements while off and while running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imo it could be your generator has gone bad. find a local suzuki dealer and see what they think! Or you can Check the generator, regulator/rectifier and circuit connections and make necessary adjustments to obtain specified charging operation. It could be a adulterated electrolyte which then you would need to replace the electrolyte, recharge the batter and then adjust S.G.

·
Registered
16 Posts
But if it is the generator it might be poorly grounded... there could be a open or short in lead wires, or loose lead connections. Shorted, ground or even a open generator coil, or the regulator/rectifier is open or shortened.. price some new generators and it could solve your problems entirely!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts