Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love this bike, only has 5,000 miles on it. I have a problem I never had before, the AIR INDUCTION hose that runs from the carb to the cylinder which is suppose to send air into the cylinder for a leaner mixture has gas in the right side. I have replaced the float needle thinking it was leaking and over filling the carb, did not make any difference. Reset the float and also didnt make any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
You may have an entirely wrong idea of what that hose does.
It might be an engine vacuum hose.
Does that model have a vacuum operated gas shutoff petcock ?
Sometimes the diaphragm in those and sucks gas into the cylinder(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. Yes the petcock does operate off a vacuum off one of the carbs, testing this petcock is operating fine. Everything I have found in the shop manual and on line, it was a Suzuki design to bring air into the cylinders, both cylinders have this. The right cylinder hose to carb is dry, the left one keeps allowing fuel into the cylinder. I have had to change the oil twice now because of the gas entering the cylinder. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Just killing some time here.......hoping someone who actually KNOWS something shows up.

The kind of sounds like a compression release.
Why else would you want to "bring air into the cylinders" ??

If that is what it IS.....why would the hose connect TO a carb ??
Are you sure that the failing hose is connected to the right place ?

Just rambling........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know this all sounds odd, but this particular design was part of their selling program. It was air circulating in the cylinder with the fuel, it was a way to increase power and fuel efficiency. It was part of the advertizing campaign. The reason it is air from the Carbs was this air was filtered and clean. Since I wrote this I found the problem, when I sucked the vacuum hose to test the petcock release of fuel to the carbs, I get lots of gas from this non-fuel line. This is the reason the carbs are filling with gas, the vacuum line is delivering unwanted fuel. I have ordered a rebuild kit which hopefully will fix it. Thank you for your thoughts, Ed

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Since I wrote this I found the problem, when I sucked the vacuum hose to test the petcock release of fuel to the carbs, I get lots of gas from this non-fuel line.
Which is what I suggested back in the first reply to your question.
You're welcome. ;)

And I still think you misunderstand the operation of that engine.
Air introduced into the cylinders without going through the carb is called......a vacuum leak.

But maybe it was a short term experiment that didn't work out.
I've never heard of a design like you are describing before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts