Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new coils on this bike. New plugs, I put a kit in the carb and cleaned it. It still does not run well. Sometimes it is hard to start. It also pops out of the 2 center carbs. acceleration is spuratic. Sometimes slow response.I don't have the gauges to balance the carbs so I didn't do that. I put stock jets in it. The air box was missing so I put pods on the carbs. I tried taking out the cabs and re-cleaning them several times but nothing changes. Below is a video of the bike idling. Net very smooth at all.

Is there an adjustment procedure for these carbs? Is my issue even a carb problem?
Your help/advice would be REALLY appreciated.
Thank you
Bill

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
You have no air filter and pipes that look like they aren't really a muffler.
Under those conditions, you should expect it to run pretty much as you described.....way LEAN.
Does partially closing the choke make it run better ?
Yes it is OK to run with the choke partially closed.......for a while.

If that helps, you either need to try and put it back stock as near as possible with the air filter and a real muffler........or start experimenting with richer jets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Easy Rider. Actually, adjusting the choke does make a difference.

Those mufflers are just empty shells. The exhaust was put on by a previous owner. I tried finding replacements for them as this bike is WAY loud, but have not had any luck. If you have any suggestions for replacements, I would be grateful.

The airbox section where the filter goes in is damaged beyond repair (the other half that mounts to the carbs is good). That is why I put the pods on. I looked for a while to find the air filter section but either I could not find the right one or the price was WAY out of line.

If I could get an airbox and the correct mufflers, I would put this back stock in a heartbeat!
If putting it back to stock is not possible. what size jets would I need?

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
If putting it back to stock is not possible. what size jets would I need?
I personally don't know.
I have enough trouble keeping things running the way they were designed.......without trying to make changes.
Maybe someone else here can help.

You might need help from an independent shop in your area.....who might be able to put you in touch with a salvage yard for original parts. But the thing is REALLY old and some adaptations might need to be made.

Are you sure you want to invest time and money into it.......not having much experience or expertise to draw upon ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
While not as good as using gauges to synchronize the carbs with the engine running, you can bench sync them. This is adjusting them so that the butterfly valves open the same amount. This will get you about 80% there. Heres a video.

if you dont want to re-jet the carbs due to the exhaust and higher air flow filters, you can do 2 things. Wrap the filters in filter foam, this will reduce the intake air and help with the lean condition. For the exhaust, you can try adding exhaust glass pack to it to increase back pressure, also helping the lean condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts