Motorcycle Forum banner

1985 Nighthawk 650

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Clint 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking for some advice for my first bike. I’ve heard so many great things about Nighthawks, and I’m thinking about buying this bike from someone off of Craig’s List for $750. The only thing is the gas tank has a hole in it, which the owner says he’s welding right now. I guess that wouldn’t scare me so much if he hadn’t already had to fix a hole in the tank just like it. I’m nervous that there is something wrong on the inside of the tank; like that it’s rotting or something.

Is buying this bike a bad idea?

It also has some rust apparently on the shock absorbers and other chrome, but it has a new battery, a new clutch handle cylinder and new front brakes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Christie

#3 ·
Welcome. It's simply rust, not "rot". It happens. I'd look for a replacement tank, and probably not an original. As to whether you should buy this particular bike... I wouldn't. A first-time learner needs something halfway safe and reliable, and this doesn't sound like that at all.

Unless you're on a very tight budget, you can usually do much better. $3000 gets you a clean bike from the last decade. $2500 if you're patient. Even $2000 needn't take you back 23 years. I have nothing against owning a classic, but leave that to those with mechanical and riding experience. Plus, you won't save much once you start replacing parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.