Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 gs550 on a trade. It’s starts and runs but not good. On the front of the carbs on the inside
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

towards the motor I have two ports that have no hoses hooked to them. They aren’t gas or vacuum what could they be?

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Overflow? but if it runs crap whether you run a pipe to them or leave them open I would suggest not. Is it possible the poor running is caused by something else?...float height blocked jets? Also can you describe how its running if it misses or wont rev etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overflow? but if it runs crap whether you run a pipe to them or leave them open I would suggest not. Is it possible the poor running is caused by something else?...float height blocked jets? Also can you describe how its running if it misses or wont rev etc...
It’s a possibility for over flow but they’re placed perfectly across from each other on the carb. It’ll start and rev fine but won’t idle. The guy I got it from said he rebuilt the carbs. I pulled them off to inspect and they’re fine really clean.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Right... well I wouldn't trust some else's carb work and would go through them again. It sounds very like blocked idle passages which cannot be seen as they are within the carb body. A dose of a good carb cleaner left over night is a simple option...esp if you get the engine running with it in them.

Possible other problems are float height, blocked emulsion tubes, even a blocked tank vent could be causing a lean condition....what do the plugs look like. Also the overflow pipes often fit to a 'T' piece that then feeds down towards the rear wheel so the nipples being directly opposite to each other would be correct.

One other thing could be as simple as the idle speed being too low or the choke/enricher not working properly....also check for air leaks at both ends of the boots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts