Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but I just noticed the other day after about a 100 mile ride, that the axle mount on the right fork looks like it doesn't have enough of a hold. I've owned this particular bike for 4 years, and have owned same year/model for many, many years. I've never noticed this before on any of them, but I may not have paid close attention. I've attached a couple of pictures for anyone to look at and tell me if I'm just crazy or there is something wrong. My local Honda dealer said they no longer work on anything older than 1990, so I have no one to look at it locally. My concern of course is that I don't want the axle to slip out of the mount and cause a serious accident.

Thanks in advance for the input

Attachments

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
That doesnt look right the end of the axle should be level with the fork as it is on the other side. Are the forks parallel? and any spacers correctly fitted? is it the correct axle...I am not familiar with your bike specifics but a front wheel exploded view on a spare parts site might be a good place to take a look at. I would not be riding that bike anymore until this issue is fixed.

I looked online and found a site with an exploded view....this is the link...or it might not work I typed Honda shadow 700 front wheel parts into Google

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Honda+shadow+700+front+wheel+parts&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiomK_RqeXNAhWFOJQKHfOZC1MQ7AkINg&biw=1366&bih=610

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
My local Honda dealer said they no longer work on anything older than 1990, so I have no one to look at it locally.
This is so stupid. I hope you will remember it when you get ready for a new bike.......and go somewhere else to get it.

If you haven't already, TAKE it there and ask them to at least LOOK at it.
If it is not normal (and I think it is NOT) the fix probably is fairly simple.
If they continue to be ass hats, then look for another shop.
Any metric dealer or independent shop should do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Unfortunately Easy Rider, I did ask the local Honda dealer to just look at it, and they refused. Believe me, I will never buy anything from them moving forward.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Tell them that...they should at least be concerned for your safety...bunch of........ts!

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Tell them that...they should at least be concerned for your safety...bunch of........ts!
If there isn't another shop handy, I suggest that you call and make an appointment to see the OWNER of the shop and take the bike with you.
The service department doesn't have to care about future sales or good will but the owner should.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
And the advice to you is the same too.
Find a real bike mechanic to look at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will a new pick-up pulse generator that's really for honda shadow vlx 600 yr 88 n up work on a 83 honda shadow vt750 bc i got a way i can make the brackets still work for it?? Like will it still have enough power or juice to make it run correctly??

·
Registered
42 Posts
With regards to the OP...your axle is part of the wheel assy when installed. If you remove the caliper, jack the bike up to lift front off the ground enough to rotate wheel and can move wheel side to side along axle then there is an issue with assy. If you have owned this bike for at least one tire change then I'd say you have correct parts and assy is good. The axle nut is what the axle clamp is gripping, not the actual axle itself.
For Shadowman, the pickups probably share similar electrical qualities so they probably will work. If you can find electrical schematics and they appear similar in connection, you could try it. Some sealing silicone with OEM engine wire grommet should keep oil inside. If you can find manuals for both bikes, compare the test results requirements for the components. if thats a match then there is your answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts