Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m new to this forum and I have a question, my Intruder has been sitting for a few years and after spending several weeks getting it started and cleaning, I find that the clutch is slipping, I’ve checked the springs and friction plates and pressure plates and while they are close to the wear limit, they are “just above” the wear limit.....having said that it must also be pointed out that when last in use there was no slippage, so any suggestions as to why it would be slipping.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
You didn't change the oil and put "car" oil in it........did you ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did put car oil in....but since then I’ve also pulled the clutch plates and pressure plates and cleaned them in varsol and lightly lubricated with fresh Suzuki oil and new gasket ....but still slips.... not sure what else to check.....like I say the measurements are close to wear limit but not quite there yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Yes I did put car oil in.....
Well then you probably are screwed.

The molly in the car oil likely got INTO the plates and "used up" the remaining thickness.......and nothing you can do to get it out.

Time for a clutch rebuild.....AND NO CAR OIL ever again.
OH, and another complete oil and filter change with bike oil.
It often takes more than one change to get all of the car oil out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then you probably are screwed.

The molly in the car oil likely got INTO the plates and "used up" the remaining thickness.......and nothing you can do to get it out.

Time for a clutch rebuild.....AND NO CAR OIL ever again.
OH, and another complete oil and filter change with bike oil.
It often takes more than one change to get all of the car oil out.
Well....alrighty.....kinda thought that was what the next step would be.....but also held out hope that maybe it was something else.....so let’s play devils advocate.....if I change the friction and pressure plates and still slipping....then what....

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
..if I change the friction and pressure plates and still slipping....then what....
Let's cross that bridge when we get there.
IF that happens, then the assumption is that the "mechanic" did something wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's cross that bridge when we get there.
IF that happens, then the assumption is that the "mechanic" did something wrong.
Well I’ve ordered the parts from local Suzuki dealer however I’m being told that a couple of the plates are on back order from China, could be a month or more before I get all parts, will make another post here when I get all parts and report condition....thanks for help and insight up to now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check to make sure the weep hole is not clogged in the clutch master cylinder. A clogged weep hole can stop fluid from returning, applying continuous light pressure on the clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I’ve ordered the parts from local Suzuki dealer however I’m being told that a couple of the plates are on back order from China, could be a month or more before I get all parts, will make another post here when I get all parts and report condition....thanks for help and insight up to now.
so I just finished the clutch repair following the Suzuki manual I have, and I must say first off that the new parts/pieces don't look any different then what was in the bike, yet I changed them anyways.....guess what......made no difference to my clutch operation....if anything it may be worse....now the clutch lever goes out almost all the way before any engagement can be felt....and that is only slight engagement....any ideas.....and don't tell me I did something wrong , cause like I said I followed the manual to a t...

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
.....and don't tell me I did something wrong , cause like I said I followed the manual to a t...
OK, I won't tell you that you "did anything wrong".
But you might have overlooked something important from the very beginning.
You NEED the services of a professional mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check to make sure the weep hole is not clogged in the clutch master cylinder. A clogged weep hole can stop fluid from returning, applying continuous light pressure on the clutch.
I have as a reference for all my repairs a Clymer repair manual and no where does it mention a weep hole on the master cylinder, perhaps it is called something else or perhaps my model doesn't have it....

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
I have as a reference for all my repairs a Clymer repair manual and no where does it mention a weep hole on the master cylinder, perhaps it is called something else or perhaps my model doesn't have it....
It HAS to have it. It is what lets fluid INTO the line behind the master plunger, if needed, when the lever is released.
Might be accomplished by a slightly different method maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I won't tell you that you "did anything wrong".
But you might have overlooked something important from the very beginning.
You NEED the services of a professional mechanic.
the saga continues.....about the only part of the clutch I didn't check on (silly me) was the slave cylinder =....it had some crud build up so I cleaned it out, bleed the system....again....and it helped enormously.....however....once I started down the road to test things out....I was riding for about 10-15 mins....long enough to get things good and warmed up.....and the clutch starts slipping again.....I was stopped on the side of the road for about an hour, when I started the bike again and drove it home....any thoughts on this new development...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts