Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am actually extremely new in the motorcycle world and have no experience fixing engines or messing with electrical wiring inside of a bike. That being said, I bought a new set speakers for my bike that use a dc hookup straight from the amp to go on to the battery. Would it be better to just buy a new battery and use that strictly as the battery for the speakers, or would it be a better idea to attach to the battery of the bike.

If the latter, I've tried getting my battery out the bottom door and the battery slides about half way down before the wires are taught, and I can't get the leads off because 1. they're the original screws that hold them in and have rusted quite poorly. and 2. if i tried to unscrew, the screwdriver either starts stripping it, or touches a piece of metal and begins to short.

Not sure what my next step would be so any help is appreciated.

Edit: looking at the idea of an extra battery, I wouldn't be able to keep the battery charged by using the bike resulting in me continually having to use a battery charger at home.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
You should be removing the ground lead first.If they are rusty get some penentrating oil to put on it and let it soak in. If you can't loosen them with a screwdriver, try some vice grips on the bolts. If there are places of bare metal that can short cover them with tape for insulation while you get it out.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
+1
And forget the part about a second battery. That will CAUSE you more trouble than it will solve.

Your new lead to the battery needs to have a fuse.

On many bikes, there is a "spare" accessory lead inside the headlight housing made for things exactly like this.
It goes off with the ignition and is already fused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts