Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1986 intruder and I watched the seller start it up with no issues twice. I then started it while it was in the truck and it was in gear but I was able to get to the clutch before it did any damage. I turned it off after a few minutes and I drove it home and then took it off the truck down a ramp and it wont start. The battery is charging but I am not sure if that was the problem as the lights worked. Anyone have any ides if the starter button or the run/off swich would be the cause? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
Anyone have any ides if the starter button or the run/off swich would be the cause? Thanks!
Does the starter run? If yes, then it's not the "starter button".
Could be the kill switch, the ignition switch or it could be out of gas.
Also could be the safety switch on the kick stand (if it has one).

An equally important question is: Why did it start when it was IN GEAR and without the clutch dis-engaged? There are supposed to be safety (switches) to prevent this. What do you know about the seller? I'd be asking him some hard questions.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Apparently the clutch safety switch has been bypassed. No big deal, and common on older bikes, as it is cheaper than replacing the switch. I bypassed the one on my Intruder years ago so I could start it in gear to get home following a minor wreck that broke my clutch lever, and I never did put it back. My antique Harley came from the factory without one, and I didn't put one on the custom I built either.

As for why it won't start, if the bike is in gear and the sidestand is down, it won't start, even with the clutch pulled in. Make sure the kill switch in on "run", the key is in the "on" position (not past it to "Park", the bike is in neutral, and then try it.

If it won;t crank, take off the left side cover and use a couple screwdrivers to jump across the starter relay terminals. If the bike cranks you need a relay. If it doesn't crank, you have a wiring issue or a ignition or safety switch somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the bike apart and checked EVERYTHING that I could visible see and everything appeared ok. I then crossed the terminals of the relay and the bike cranked. Now I just need to find a relay. I can't get the kickstand light off but then again I have not been able to start it. Also the clutch switch was disabled and thats why it was started in gear. The seller forgot to mention that he won't answer his phone. I was tempted to show up at his front door but until I get a new relay I will wait for that approach. :) Thanks guys! I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The starter relay is part number 31800-15501, about $45. You can order it from any Suzuki dealer, or online from RonAyers, BikeBandit, or other OEM part sources. I often order from RonAyers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having an issue with my fuel pump not getting power I believe. I replaced the fuel pump relay and the pump, still nothing. Gas flows freely through the petcock but doesn't get to the pump. I am fairly new with motorcycle repairs but have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas??? Also has new battery

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Blocked line from the tank... is it an external fuel pump?

If there is no power to the relay then you might have a fuse blown. A wiring diagram might be the next step to try and track down the power issue. When you key the ignition do the gauges do a power sweep? You need to see if power is getting to the relay and if not back tracking it from there. make sure it is fitted firmly to the fuse block and that the block is clean and the connections tight. Is the new battery fully charged...you must make sure it has 12.5 Vdc at the terminals...lower power outputs can play havoc with the ecu.

Does the bike have a tip over switch and has it been activated or is it faulty. Also, on the off chance, on some bikes if it is in gear even with the clutch lever pulled it wont power up...if it has GPS then that may be faulty making the ecu think it is still in gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts