Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of an '87 Suzuki Intruder VS700GLH. It ran great when I test drove it, and for the nest two hundred miles or so afterwards. My brother called me, and told me he heard a, "pop," like a backfire, then it died. I picked it up with my trailer and took a look at everything. First, I noticed a burning smell, which I later attributed to the fuel cut relay that is united to the fuel pump. I also noticed a burnt ground wire that I didn't test, but am sure was creating some unwanted resistance. Lastly, I went to test the fuel pump relay, (under the rear seat) and noticed a strange jumper wire that I don't think was supposed to be there. The relay itself did not test as specified in the service manual. There are quite a number of non-original wires involved on this bike, and just need to know what you think. I don't have much money, or I would bring it to someone who knows more than me (I am a first-year auto-tech student). If someone could tell or show me how, exactly this is supposed to be wired, I'd like to replace the fuel pump, (I tested and is out of resistance specs) as well as the relay. Finally, is this a certain kind of relay, or can I just grab a NO or NC relay from the auto parts store.Fuel Cut Relay united to the fuel pump:
Fuel Pump Relay:
Wiring Diagram:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
An update: After studying the different wiring diagrams for the GL, GLH, etc., I believe I need either, a fuel pump with the united fuel cut relay, or the relay as specified with a standard on/off fuel pump. Someone correct me if this sounds inaccurate. I would post the wiring diagrams, but I can't get them pictured to be readable on here.

Latest Update: Scouring the internet has revealed that the relay formerly in place was not any specified relay at all. It appears one of the previous owners may have tried to circumnavigate the faulty fuel-cut relay on the pump itself. In the mail now is an OEM relay and a compatible ON/OFF pump. (This was much cheaper than the original pump replacement, which I would have liked, but money is tight.) I should find out in a few days if I am as capable as I think I am, and will hopefully post a final update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
someone, quick!

All wired up, finally started. I'm feeling pretty accomplished. However, she is idling quite high. A few different things I can think of; the new fuel pump is pumping more fuel to the carbs than what the old one was, I accidentally messed up the vacuum on one of the hose/air filter box connections, a throttle cable linkage that was all worn out that I moved slightly when messing with the wiring harnesses, or I just pumped too much gas into the carbs while trying to start it (It was a bit chilly and hadn't been started in two weeks). Which is most likely here? Wouldn't the extra fuel flow through the overflow tube? I'm not too knowledgable on small engines/carburetors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apparently bumped the throttle cable to the rear cylinder, which I noticed was ghetto-rigged with some wire, because apparently the end-cap that seats into the lock-nut was missing. If I meet the original owner, I'm going to tell them that they should never work on an automobile again, because they're going to kill someone. Aside from that, everything is as it should be and all is well. I couldn't have done it without everyone's help (ha). This seems to be a very situation-specific problem, but hopefully someone will find my long rant with myself useful for something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts