Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the bike the start button would work, but sometimes I would have to mess with the clutch, so could that switch cause a fuse to blow or voltage to drop when turn key on, head light dims little when try to hit the start button, Its the ignition fuse I believe that blows. What could cause it to pop at idle and little when riding out of one cylinder.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Sounds like low voltage to me re the popping and dropping a cylinder. Battery condition can cause many ignition problems. You need to check the cablesare clean and tight then check the at rest voltage...should be around 12.5 vdc. If not it may need charging. Then do a load test when starting the voltage should not drop lower than 10 vdc...anything lower means the battery is probably no good. next a charge test....with the motor running check across the terminals....you need to get about 12.5 to 13 vdc. Revving the engine or switching on the headlight if its not already on should see it rise around 14.5 vdc. Anything short of these points to a faulty battery or charging circuit.

The fuse blowing sounds like a short somewhere in the ignition circuit or its associated wiring. Having to mess with the clutch lever points to a bad safety switch. You can disconnect the cable and jump the connector to check this. It may also be the cause of the low voltage symptoms. I would do the battery check then the safety cut out check.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts