Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I'm a 70 y/o seasoned citizen who hasn't ridden or owned a bike in over 30 years.
Much to my wife's chagrin I bought a 1993 Suzuki Intruder 800, a couple of weeks ago.
I have wanted an Intruder since they first hit the market. Check that off the bucket list.
To amend my previous statement, I have ridden...the 1 1/2 hour trip home from the purchase point.
The bike ran fine. I got it home, parked it and for a variety of reasons haven't touched it again until today.
I was going to take a ride today, but, no joy. The bike didn't start.
I don't believe there is a thing wrong with the bike. I think it is user error.
I couldn't get a green indicator, which, if I am not mistaken, appears if the bike is in neutral and will not start otherwise.
I kicked the shifter up and down, w/o luck.
Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Check the battery...it may be flat due to a number of possible faults the easiest one being the connections being tight and clean. Also the ground wire will go to a frame member check for corrosion at that point. Other possible faults may be the clutch safety switch or the side stand switch. Easy check is disconnect the wire and jump the harness end on each one using a bent paper clip.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I have lights and turn signals and two red indicators when the ignition is turned on. I'm thinking it's not battery related. I'm not quite following the easy check part. It seems like I'm failing to get it into neutral, somehow. Any other thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
I had the clutch in. Any other suggestions?
Maybe I should make a video of what I'm doing.
Check the KILL switch !!!!
And N is between 1st and 2nd. NOT all the way down.

The clutch must be pulled in AND the transmission in Neutral (usually a light).

If you do both of those things and absolutely nothing happens when you push the start button.......then you might need a shop visit.

Do you have any friends who ride ??

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Well, that's the thing...it doesn't seem to be going into neutral. I doubt anything broke while the bike was just sitting there. I must be failing. 😞
On a machine you are not used to that can be tricky.
Sometimes it actually is easier if you do NOT pull in the clutch and rock the bike forward and back a little as you shift it down as far as possible with the ignition OFF.
Then turn it ON, pull the clutch and click it one notch UP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had actually thought about rocking it, but didn't try it until you mentioned it. That did the trick. In retrospect, maybe not starting was the good Lord's way of telling this old man not to ride. I took a short trip to drop off a utility bill and when I pulled into a parking spot and was about to put down the kick stand, the bike tipped to the right and down I went, leaving me with a gash by my eye. Luckily there was someone there to pick up the bike for me. Being old sucks.
I'm going to do some serious exercising before I ride again. As long as I'm moving along everything is great. But, I can't risk keeling over every time I stop. I WILL prevail.
Thanks much for the help.
Forehead Nose Beard Mouth Jaw

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Been there, done that.
I am now on 3 wheels.

You NEED to watch some videos on how a single person can pick up a fallen bike by themselves.
I've done it a couple of times and I am a pretty small person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle
I was looking for a trike when I came across my dream bike. I'm 5'8" or used to be before I shrank. Back in the day I could pick up my bike if I needed to. I'll look for some videos. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks.

I'm a 70 y/o seasoned citizen who hasn't ridden or owned a bike in over 30 years.
Much to my wife's chagrin I bought a 1993 Suzuki Intruder 800, a couple of weeks ago.
I have wanted an Intruder since they first hit the market. Check that off the bucket list.
To amend my previous statement, I have ridden...the 1 1/2 hour trip home from the purchase point.
The bike ran fine. I got it home, parked it and for a variety of reasons haven't touched it again until today.
I was going to take a ride today, but, no joy. The bike didn't start.
I don't believe there is a thing wrong with the bike. I think it is user error.
I couldn't get a green indicator, which, if I am not mistaken, appears if the bike is in neutral and will not start otherwise.
I kicked the shifter up and down, w/o luck.
Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks for the help.
Check your "Kill Switch "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts