Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '96 RM 125. The clutch was way out of adjustment and never fully disengaged when I bought it. After some fiddling I got it so it disengaged and was ridable for a few weeks. I started fouling plugs only to realize I had a plug wire breaking down. I replaced the plug wire with bulk plug wire and taking apart the old coil and boot to install the new wire. Now I have a faint spark and the bike won't fire. Could this be a coil problem and I don't have hot enough spark?

Also when the bike is running the clutch does not slip but bike jumps when put in gear (clutch not fully engaging). But with the bike in gear and not running, when I pull in the clutch lever I still cannot push the bike, like it is still engaged in gear. Does something in the clutch need replaced because I've tried both extremes of adjustment of the cable and neither do the trick.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
14 Posts
When you took the coil apart, did you scratch it?

The coil has a layer of paint on it, if that is scratched, it will likely not funtion propperly.

I'm not sure what a bulk plug wire is that you mention, but if that wire is not designed as a plug wire, it probably wont work.

All the bikes i have tried are similar to the problem you mention there. If it's not something extreme, i wouldn't worry about it.

· Registered
31 Posts
for the clutch ..

My 97 125 does the same thing. From everyone I have talked to, it is normal on these race bikes. I even tried pushing a friend's brand new 2004 rmz250 while in gear, clutch pulled in... grabbed just like mine. (wouldn't roll).

· Registered
36 Posts
For the bike jumping when you put it into gear, i know that with alot of 2-strokes it will do that, sometimes the clutch has to warm up, and after it has done that it will get a bit smoother. I think it is just a charactoristic that 2-strokes have. Your case may be more sever than most though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.