Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just wondering if it is illegal to use a "race only" filter on a streetbike. Or if its even likely you'd ever be found with it. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
What do you hope to accomplish with that ?
Never heard of a "racing only" oil filter.

If you really mean AIR filter, then technically it would be illegal.
But more importantly the engine probably wouldn't run good with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiflofiltro oil filters on motorcycle Id have a disclaimer as soon as you put it in the cart that says race filter only. Liability is yours blah blah blah. They filter better in specific conditions than a regular oil filter. So it should keep oil cleaner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you hope to accomplish with that ?
Never heard of a "racing only" oil filter.

If you really mean AIR filter, then technically it would be illegal.
But more importantly the engine probably wouldn't run good with it.
And no I don't mean air filter. I meant what what said.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
And no I don't mean air filter. I meant what what said.
OK. So, there is absolutely, positively NO reason to put a "racing" oil filter on a street machine.
But it is not even remotely "illegal" so do whatever you want.

If you do this, are you intending to change the oil and filter maybe 4X as often ?
You probably should.

Hiflofiltro oil filters on motorcycle Id have a disclaimer as soon as you put it in the cart that says race filter only. Liability is yours blah blah blah.

They filter better in specific conditions than a regular oil filter. So it should keep oil cleaner.
Those two statements are directly at odds with each other.
That is, a "racing" filter actually should filter LESS to insure a full flow even under nasty conditions. That is the reason for the disclaimer.

What exactly makes you somehow think that it will filter "better" ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How exactly would it make it to where I have to change my oil 4 times as often? I mean I don't use cheap oil. I put Bel Rey full synthetic ester in my bike. I wanted silkolene but its kind of hard to get. Because the filter is finer media? So I guess it would make sense that it would need changed more often.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Because the filter is finer media? So I guess it would make sense that it would need changed more often.
NO. You have this all backwards.

In serious racing, you sacrifice your engine to squeeze out a little extra power and then rebuild it often.
In this case, the racing filter would have less restriction so that the oil flows easier BUT it would filter less.......and thus allow "dirt" to accumulate more.

It appears that you are trying to do everything possible to protect your engine and that is fine.
But THIS is not something good to do.
Exactly the opposite.

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
I roadraced and dragraced with stock oil filters so I'd say run a stock filter and don't worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts