Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I received this bike as a gift as it had been sitting for years before I was given it. When I got it I swapped every single fluid on the bike and did other typical maintenance.

I am now trying to even get it to move and feel like I am going to lose my mind. Each time I try to put it into gear it just jumps forward and dies. No matter what, I cannot get it to go into gear.

In order I have:
-Bled it
-Changed all the fluid completely, including removing the slave cylinder and cleaning it.
-Bled it again for an hour
-Wired the kickstand safety switch together thinking it could be that.

Honestly I am at a loss and getting super tilted. I can hear the clutch moving around when pulling the lever so I at least know it’s partially moving?? Other than that, nothing, I am new to bikes so I just don’t get it.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Maybe the sidestand logic is set up so that a short indicates that the stand is DOWN.
Have you tried it with those wires OPEN ?
I don't remember which way it usually works.

You can test for clutch dragging or sticking by putting it in gear, engine OFF and then pulling in the clutch and trying to push it forward and/or back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the sidestand logic is set up so that a short indicates that the stand is DOWN.
Have you tried it with those wires OPEN ?
I don't remember which way it usually works.

You can test for clutch dragging or sticking by putting it in gear, engine OFF and then pulling in the clutch and trying to push it forward and/or back.
Starting with the latter first, even with clutch in and bike in gear it cannot move. If the clutch is sticking what’s the best way to unstick?

Also I will leave the wires open and test that also. Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Starting with the latter first, even with clutch in and bike in gear it cannot move. If the clutch is sticking what’s the best way to unstick?
First, manage to shift it into a higher gear......3rd at least.
And then pull in the clutch (assuming that the clutch has a good firm feel) and "bump" it forward and back a few times with the engine OFF.
This will have a better chance of succeeding if you let it idle long enough to get the oil hot.

Oh, and check to be sure that there isn't too much slack in the clutch lever or cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts