Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there,
I am new to this site and thought i would throw out an issue i am haveing with my recently purchased motorcycle in hopes that someone can help me. the bike is a 1998 marauder vz800 and it has a starting and running issue. I believe the issue is fuel delivery related as i removed the tank and there was sedement at the bottom and some sedement came out of the petcock when I initialy opened it to drain the fuel. I would like to know how to tell if the fuel pump is actuating as it should. When should i heat the fuel pump runing and will it run without the fuel lines attached? I attempted to start the bike with the tank off and fuel lines dissconected and did not hear any noise from the pump when i turned the key on or when i pushed the start button to turn over the engine. Is there anything else anyone can think of that may be giving me these problems? As i give the engine throttle it will periodicaly "correct itself" but only for a second at a time. It will slugishly rev up with bursts of normal performance. Seems like its running on one cylender then the other will kick in for a second but goo right back out but seeing as i have not tested this theory it could very well be a fuel delivery issue that is giving the feeling of a failing cylender. Any info would greatly help especialy from someone haveing experience with this bike.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
When should i heat the fuel pump runing and will it run without the fuel lines attached?
With everything connected except the fuel line from pump to carbs, you should bet a steady (maybe pulsed) flow of fuel out of the pump.
Seems like I remember that enough sediment can actually damage those pumps.

DrBob will be along shortly with more (or different) details. :bluethum:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The Marauder is not fuel injected, so the fuel pump does not come on with the key. It is a simple electro-magnetic pump that only runs when the engine is running, with the carbs being promed by gravity flow from the tank. You can check it as Ken said, but to me it just sounds like the carbs are boogered up with the crap from the tank. A good disassembly & cleaning of the tank, lines, and carbs is in order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Marauder is not fuel injected, so the fuel pump does not come on with the key. It is a simple electro-magnetic pump that only runs when the engine is running, with the carbs being promed by gravity flow from the tank. You can check it as Ken said, but to me it just sounds like the carbs are boogered up with the crap from the tank. A good disassembly & cleaning of the tank, lines, and carbs is in order.
Hi I too am working on a 1997 VZ800, my sons bike.
He had some problems with a starting issue as well.
Seems I'm thinking the fuel pump went out on it. A fuel line deteriorated but was replaced.
I got a supposedly aftermarket pump and figured it would work, now not sure. Wiring color and pinout wasnt same.
So looking for another OSIAS claims their units are a direct fit/match for this bike?
Bike will fire on a bit of ether so, I know its a fuel problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
Wish I could help more but I can't without being there.
And Dr. Bob isn't with us anymore.

IF.....you can loosen the drain screws on the carb(s) bowls and a substantial amount of fuel drips out........then it is likely that the fuel pump is NOT the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts