Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 suzuki marauder. When I first got this bike it ran ok but backfired a lot. Would only run on full choke checked the spark plugs and the front plug wasn't firering. Changed the plugs both are fireing now. Still was backfirering. And would only run on full choke. Now will crank and crank but will not start. I am lost I am new to having a bike as this is my first one. Not sure where to start.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Good to see another 'rauder on here! I had a 98, now on a 99. Check out spacer Jims website. He posts a lot about marauders. He has a no start faq on his site. Also, come over to marauder intruder group (mig) on Delphi forums and join up. Lots of good marauder info there.
By what you describe, might be running too rich especially if you have aftermarket non baffled pipes and stock carb jetting.
sent via middle finger messaging

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
By what you describe, might be running too rich especially if you have aftermarket non baffled pipes and stock carb jetting.
OOPS.....make that too LEAN, as evidenced by the choke being required to keep it running, and especially especially if it has a high flow air filter.
IF it will fire off by using some starting fluid in the air intake but will not continue running, that probably means that the carbs are severly gummed up and
probably will need a manual cleaning. Carb cleaner in the gas might have helped last year but it's probably too late for that now.
All of that assumes, of course that the fuel is not shut OFF and that there is sufficient gas in the tank.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's set to run on 87 octane I believe. If you can find a place close by that sells ethanol free gas, I found mine runs real well with that. You can find it at pure-gas.Org.
Ball auto service in downtown Tacoma is the closest for me...

sent via middle finger messaging

·
Registered
1 Posts
Armysgt,
I had the same problem when I first got my '98 VZ800 too. I bought a 4 pack of fuel/injector cleaner a poured a bottle in the tank every time I filled up. I also adjusted the mixture.

I'm having a different problem now. Whenever I ride & stop for gas or have several stops to make before I get where I need to go, the bike will not start. It's seems like whenever it gets warmed up it won't start. I can jump the starter relay with a screw driver & it starts fine. When push the start button the lights dim, but nothing happens until I jump the relay. If I let the bike sit for a while it starts fine. Any ideas on what might cause this?

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
a poured a bottle in the tank every time I filled up.

When push the start button the lights dim, but nothing happens until I jump the relay.
First, those bottles of carb cleaner are made to treat 15 gallons of gas or more. A whole bottle in ~5 gallons in a bike is WAY too much.

For your starting problem.......you probably should have opened a new thread because it has nothing to do with this subject.
You have either a bad solenoid, bad contacts in the start switch or a loose or corroded wire between the two.
You need a meter to trace things out.......when it is failing.
There is also a remote chance that your battery is failing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.