Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys my buddy has a 98 intruder and we came back from a trip last weekend and he went to start it and it wouldnt.We know the battery was and is good. I was told it could be a # of things Starter,Cylinoid,Starter clutch, Switch..

It will start after you keep trying. this happened a # of times comming home from trip and a couple times we pushed it off alittle to try and move starter to a diffrent position and not much luck but within 5 min it started..

Does anyone have any idea and also how i can trouble shoot it down to pin point the problem???

Thanks and may GOD bless you all..

PS I finally got my Cycle custom painted hope yall like below on the links, my sig is when i started it and painted myself..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ICE7700/DSCF1197.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ICE7700/DSCF1195.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ICE7700/DSCF1190.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice paint job!

Check the battery connections - it's been reported that they can work loose, and I have had that happen on my 1400. Also, if it tries to turn over but just won't start, put the battery on the trickle charger for a couple of hours. I've also had that issue. Battery Tender, or it's cheaper copy at Wallmart has solved that problem - I just give it a charge every couple of months.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Try the kill switch.... if used...they can cause problems...also any safety switches such as the clutch.

Easiest way to check this, (and any others) is disconnect it and use a short piece of wire across the blades of the harness connector. If the starter spins the switch is faulty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
M7 1997 did this all the time- loose battery connections. Tighten them (not just the cable to battery terminals, but also the battery terminals to the battery if our battery has screw-on battery terminals). Best thing is to take them off, clean them, and use a star washer under the bolt head to prevent them from coming loose again.

·
Super Moderator
12,412 Posts
We know the battery was and is good.

Does anyone have any idea and also how i can trouble shoot it down to pin point the problem???
Can't count the number of times that folks have said "I KNOW the battery is good." only to find out later that it isn't. :)

For any additional "good" opinions, you're gonna have to be a little more specific with the details of "it won't start".
Does it always turn over?
Does it seem to be turning over slower than normal?
Does it turn over but not fire?

The devil is in the details.

+1 on the loose connections.
A $10 multi-meter would help too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 800. New battery. Aside from the clutch and kickstand switches. What else can I look for? Jumped the solenoid and it cranks.

·
Super Moderator
12,412 Posts
Some Zuki models need BOTH the clutch pulled in AND the transmission in N for the initial start.
So that would mean that the neutral switch would be in play too.
And of course, the start button itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts