Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newer rider, I've had my '99 Shadow A.C.E. for about 2 months now. It was running perfectly fine a couple of weeks ago. I did let it sit for about a week and a half without starting it while I took my local motorcycle rider/learning course. I completed the course today, went to ride my motorcycle and it started, sounded really good, rolled it to the main road, put it in first gear and it just shut down on me. When trying to start it again, it just crackles and pops loudly when I give it throttle..

My uncle has been a mechanic his entire life and knows a lot, but he is a Harley Davidson rider, and isn't familiar with Hondas. He came over and tested the most that he said he could. There is fuel, there was fuel in the filter, it's receiving fuel. The spark plugs had fuel on them and were tested against the bike but there was no arc when turning the engine over. The fuses are all good, he said it could potentially be the ignition coil but again he doesn't know for sure.

I did what he advised and called my local Honda powersports dealer and explained my situation briefly before the service guy replied "What do you expect me to do about it?"..So that got me no where. I have been viewing this forum for a little while without having been signed up.. I figure now is the best time to join and start learning more about my motorcycle. It has approximately 11,000 miles on it... Appears to be in excellent shape and well taken care of in the past, and I don't really know much else about it mechanically other than what I listed in the first paragraph...

I really appreciate any advice or help I receive, I really want to get out riding! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The guy at that Honda Shop would be more than happy to "do something about it"......but limited to sending a truck to pick it up and then fixing it for you.

There is a sidestand switch which will cause the engine to die if you put it into gear with the sidestand down......or with a switch not making good contact making it APPEAR that the stand is still down.

It might be on the ragged edge of making good contact or not.
Check that first. Mechanically to be sure the stand is pushing on the switch properly and then electrically to be sure the switch has not failed.

That is always what you should check first when the story includes "dies when I put it in gear".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I called Honda Service for simple advice to point me in the right direction of what could be wrong. Not for them to necessarily fix it. Someone who fixes them all day every day for a living could have at least given me some troubleshooting tips.. That is what I called for.

I don't think it would be the side stand. The bike will start with side stand down, and it also has an indicator light. You see, it started once perfectly fine, I let it warm up before I was going to head out, and then after dying it will not start back up again. It is not starting and then quitting in first. It just simply won't start at all now.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well I called Honda Service for simple advice to point me in the right direction of what could be wrong. Not for them to necessarily fix it. Someone who fixes them all day every day for a living could have at least given me some troubleshooting tips.. That is what I called for.
Your expectations weren't realistic. They don't work for free, and they probably are very busy, being right in the middle of the riding season.
I don't think it would be the side stand. The bike will start with side stand down, and it also has an indicator light. You see, it started once perfectly fine, I let it warm up before I was going to head out, and then after dying it will not start back up again. It is not starting and then quitting in first. It just simply won't start at all now.
I don't know about your bike but but on some, like mine, if the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear, it will not start. If you put the kickstand down while the bike is in gear, it will shut off the engine. So you should reread ER's post and understand the advice he's given you, it still applies. You need to verify the the relay the kickstand makes contact with is functioning properly. Put the bike in neutral, raise the kickstand and then try start the bike. Does it start then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.