Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help diagnosing no power from start button to starter relay . Neutral switch and clutch switch are happy. When I hit the start button the decompressor servo activates but not the starter relay. Any thoughts where to test next would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
Looking for help diagnosing no power from start button to starter relay . Neutral switch and clutch switch are happy. When I hit the start button the decompressor servo activates but not the starter relay. Any thoughts where to test next would be welcome.
Is there REALLY no power appearing at the small wire on the starter solenoid (relay) or are you assuming that because it doesn't activate ?

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
The small red wire does have 12v with key on yes. The yellow/green nor the orange/white have any volts or continuity when I hit the start button.
Well apparently you are not talking about the actual starter solenoid because it will have only 3 wires on it:
One heavy wire going to the starter, one heavy wire going back to the battery and one much smaller wire that is powered only when the start button is pushed.
That smaller wire on the solenoid probably should go back to a start relay. If it does not, then you might be looking at the wrong one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well apparently you are not talking about the actual starter solenoid because it will have only 3 wires on it:
One heavy wire going to the starter, one heavy wire going back to the battery and one much smaller wire that is powered only when the start button is pushed.
That smaller wire on the solenoid probably should go back to a start relay. If it does not, then you might be looking at the wrong one.
Yes it is the starter solenoid with 2 large cables and the 3 small wire plug . Here is a photo of it .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
Yes it is the starter solenoid with 2 large cables and the 3 small wire plug . Here is a photo of it .
Sorry I kind of left out something before.

Notice the fuse ?
TWO of those 3 small wires really have nothing to do with the starter function.
They are the main power feed for the rest of the bike and that fuse is the "main" fuse for that.

I'm guessing that the red wire is the one that triggers the solenoid when it has power.
Some simple testing would confirm that.

Have you tested/replaced that main fuse ??

Note: I have deleted your other almost identical post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I kind of left out something before.

Notice the fuse ?
TWO of those 3 small wires really have nothing to do with the starter function.
They are the main power feed for the rest of the bike and that fuse is the "main" fuse for that.

I'm guessing that the red wire is the one that triggers the solenoid when it has power.
Some simple testing would confirm that.

Have you tested/replaced that main fuse ??

Note: I have deleted your other almost identical post.
Thank you for deleting that . I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Yes I have tested the fuse and the small red wire feeds 12v to the rest of the bike .
The start button wire is controlled thru the igniter module and then back to the solenoid. A new starter solenoid has fixed my no start problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for deleting that . I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Yes I have tested the fuse and the small red wire feeds 12v to the rest of the bike .
The start button wire is controlled thru the igniter module and then back to the solenoid. A new starter solenoid has fixed my no start problem.
FYI. Don't buy the cheap Chinese junk solenoid. Go the extra bucks for the Suzuki one ! Learned the hard way myself .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts