Motorcycle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Going 90 on a public road (or freeway) on a bike running from a car? One of two things is going on...

or...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Why are you going over 90 on public highways? That kind of stuff is why sport bikes are frowned upon by the general public.
Really? What about the harley that was splitting lanes this morning going about 110? are you telling me you've never taken your bike over 90 on a highway? I highly doubt that... and if you haven't take of yer training wheels and do it. If you all worry about what the general public thinks of you then that's really pathetic and I would suggest therapy sessions because if it bothers you what a random stranger thinks of you - then you got serious issues and need to learn to be yourself hombre.

Sportbikes are only frowned upon by people too scared to ride them ;-)...

I'm not saying you start at 90 in said scenario - I'm saying you're doing 75 and have some jackoff tailgating you, when switching lanes it is advised to accelerate into the lane, decreasing the chance that another car will be moving into the same space as you. 75 - 90 is not ridiculously fast and around MA the left lane goes 80-85 on average anyways, that's cars and bikes ladies. So to keep up with traffic you're doing 80-85 (gps speed, not speedo). 90 really isnt that bad, please unbunch your panties.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Am I reading this right? You're doing 90 to start, see a dangerous car and speed up from there to put it where you want it?
no no no - i'm saying you're doing like 75 to start, and then some guy decides to tailgate you, which i'm sure everyone has had happen to them.. with a bike that tops out around 90, if that car wants (and this has happened to me) to be a d*ck and just stay 5 feet off your bumper even when yous witch lanes, you'er gonna need to be able to get out of that situation.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Going 90 on a public road (or freeway) on a bike running from a car? One of two things is going on...

or...

Dear Nimbly,
motorcycles and cars go over 90 mph.

Let me tell you a story. One day I was on 495 (a highway near me, all you need to know) travelling 85 in the left lane. A porsche decides it would be fun to get about 5 feet off my back wheel. No one else is on the road. I move into the center lane to allow said porsche to pass... instead of passing the porsche moves into the center lane behind me and continues to follow at about 5 feet off my tire... what do you think you should do in this scenario? Do you want me to brake check him? that's a fckin stupid idea on a motorcycle.. maybe I should pull into the next lane to allow him to pass since no one else is on the road - oh wait - i already did that too. It seems mr porsche wants to use his fast car to toy with other people cause hes so cool. So what are my options.. pull over to the side of the road, which he might do too - you never know he's followed me so far.. or use my 142 hp at the wheel motorcycle, drop it to third gear, and put that car far behind me quick before he rear-ends me by accident.

You can correct me if i'm wrong here nimbly but I believe you are new to the motorcycle world(i might be thinking of someone else) so I will let the squid comment pass, but if you have been riding a while - you might want to learn the definition of squid so you can say it and know what it means - I will instruct you to its proper meaning. SQUID. S-stupidly, q-quick, u-undergeared, imminently dead. there are more meanings let me put them here for you as well - slang dictionary defines it as "squid
Someone lacking in ability or skill, especially in a sport or activity." Here it is from wikipedia - "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous"
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"
"Super Quick Until I Die"
"Speeding Quickly Until I Die"

Now let me go through these for you. one by one. Stupidly quick - 90 is not THAT fast, if I was like "as I was zigzagging and lane splitting at 130 MPH" then it would be. Undergeared - I was in motorcycle pants, jacket, gloves, boots, and a full face helmet - is that undergeared? Imminently dead - well I'm still here so that doesn't really match up either.. ok, so i'm not definition 1. lacking in ability or skill - well I can drive a motorcycle, have been driving for 8 years (i'm not a pro, but i'm giong to assume that means I have the ability to ride a motorcycle, so I cant be lacking in that).. lacking in skill - now i'm no valentino rossi - but since I've done a few track days and have taken a few courses - i'm going to say I have a decent amount of skill - nothigni outrageous - i'm not a racer in a league or anything, but I have enough skill to drive a measly 90 mph. So I don't fall under that definition of squid either.. crap we're running out of options here quickly nimbly! Now since the other 3 definitions have to do with dying as well, and clearly I am still here as you can see from the fact I'm typing this, those don't really apply to me either. If you're saying going 90 is a bad decision and that makes me a squid - well you've never really driven your bike then if you've always kept the speed to 40 mph and below.. so I will urge you to please take your bike to a track and let her open up a little. Or drive in MA at 65 and see how many people flip you off and tailgate you.

Looks to me like going 90 in on the highway would not technically qualify me as a squid.

My questions to all of you freaking out about going 90 - have none of you ever done 90 on your motorcycle? If you're claiming it's stupid to speed then any one of you who has gone 66 in a 65 (which is the speed limit on all highways around here) are guilty of speeding, and by your logic are unsafe...

Go ahead and make fun of my grammar/spelling errors - i'm not going to bother to correct them.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I'm actually too lazy to look for grammatical errors. But I have used my bike's power to escape certain situations. Some probably thought I was being aggressive from my vantage point it was more of a assessment of the situation and I didn't like it so i escaped it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm actually too lazy to look for grammatical errors. But I have used my bike's power to escape certain situations. Some probably thought I was being aggressive from my vantage point it was more of a assessment of the situation and I didn't like it so i escaped it.
that's what I am trying to say... a 250 on the highway might not have the ability, and would in essence be a poor choice for any highway driver for that exact reason.

·
Super Moderator
13,854 Posts
If you all worry about what the general public thinks of you then that's really pathetic
And if you really don't care what anybody else thinks about you.......then that is being a sociopath. You are building a REALLY good case for that diagnosis.

Oops, I forgot, you aren't reading my posts. Kiss,kiss! :cool:

·
Registered
855 Posts
And if you really don't care what anybody else thinks about you.......then that is being a sociopath. You are building a REALLY good case for that diagnosis.

Oops, I forgot, you aren't reading my posts. Kiss,kiss! :cool:
You're not a sociopath if you care about what people you know think about you - but if you're driving your motorcycle going, if I speed up now - will the public hate me? Then you have issues. If you read (i'm assuming you can here) then I believe you will notice I said general public, not everone. If you send me your address I can send you hooked on phonics.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Easy - for your general knowledge.

Profile of the Sociopath

Not caring about anyone is only one of the many things that can make you a sociopath. There is some reading for you to do, so you can understand that even if one were true, there are a whole lot more requirements.

·
Dogs Best Friend(admin)
9,643 Posts
Would you two STFU. And reporting posts to whine about how each other is treating the other is, in my opinion, the most childish thing I've seen in my five years on this board. Go to the disney channel BB if you must act this way.

Oh, and rickety, if you don't care what people think, why did you report Easy Riders (AKA $hitdisturber) post?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Beacuse last time when I asked if he had dementia he reported me, so i figured i would repay the favor ;-), is calling someone a name not a personal attack? Is that not in direct violation of the site rules?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Site rules are up to interpretation by me and the rest of the team.
so are there actually any forum rules? or are they more of just guidelines? I think establishing a rule set would stop someone from reporting posts that weren't actually violating a rule, if it's just guidelines it leaves it more to the discression of people opinions as to what violates a rule, meaning more "report abuse" clicks that you have to investigate, and then rule upon based upon your discussions with your team.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you all worry about what the general public thinks of you then that's really pathetic and I would suggest therapy sessions because if it bothers you what a random stranger thinks of you - then you got serious issues and need to learn to be yourself hombre.

Sportbikes are only frowned upon by people too scared to ride them ;-)...
You should car about what the public thinks about motorcycles. We are a small group with a lot to lose. We need to get noticed but not in that way. I admit that I have driven 90 on a highway but I am not proud of it. I now have a family and I see things in a totally different eye than I used to. Maybe one day you will grow up and see that the world doesn't revolve around you. On that highway there are a lot of people and kids at risk. I wouldn't want the harm of a child on my conscience.

·
Dogs Best Friend(admin)
9,643 Posts
so are there actually any forum rules? or are they more of just guidelines? I think establishing a rule set would stop someone from reporting posts that weren't actually violating a rule, if it's just guidelines it leaves it more to the discression of people opinions as to what violates a rule, meaning more "report abuse" clicks that you have to investigate, and then rule upon based upon your discussions with your team.
Or... you could stop trolling the board and start acting your age.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You should car about what the public thinks about motorcycles. We are a small group with a lot to lose. We need to get noticed but not in that way. I admit that I have driven 90 on a highway but I am not proud of it. I now have a family and I see things in a totally different eye than I used to. Maybe one day you will grow up and see that the world doesn't revolve around you. On that highway there are a lot of people and kids at risk. I wouldn't want the harm of a child on my conscience.
Driving 90 on a bike that is designed to drive 90 is not as big of a danger as you would think. 90 is a very controllable speed and if you have no one around you then you can stop if needed. Going 90 is not some terrible thing. Getting noticed for going 90 is not a bad thing either - as my motorcycle safety instructor said - if you get noticed by the cars around you because you're going a little faster then them - then they're noticing you. I am grown up, I know the world doesn't revolve around me. There are not a lot of people at risk from a motorcycle accident if they are going the speedlimit and you are going a little faster than them - i'm not driving a hummer that will rip a honda civic in half if I crash into it. I personally have not heard of any motorcycle accidents on the highway where the person on the motorcycle was driving by himself on the bike, and somehow he managed to harm a child... so link to some news articles please, because as of yet I have 0 harming of children on my conscience... it seems to me you are arguing a "what if" hypothetical situation, even if it has happened it hasnt happened with any regular occurence that it should be something I watch out for.. and if you live your life in fear of hypothetical situations, maybe you need to grow up and realize you can't fear every small thing that may or may not happen, or when you're old and dying you'll look back and wonder why you didn't live your life.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Or... you could stop trolling the board and start acting your age.
I'm just trying to get clarification if its a violation to do personal attacks on other members or not, because if it isn't then why did I get a moderator(inspiron) private message a few weeks ago saying its not ok to do a personal attack, and then if it is, why is an admin trying to tell someone not to report a personal attack? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. A link to the forum rules would be as well as I searched for them yet came up with 216 results, and none of the first 7 pages I scrolled through contained them. I can ask you this via PM if you would like to take it off the boards, just let me know.

I am not trolling the board, it is a discussion board. Some viewpoints aren't as well received as others are, it's not a statement made to anger forum members, just to enlighten people searching for such information. I think a 250 is too small for a bike to be safely on the road at highway speeds, thus making it an ineffective first bike for anyone who might use it to commute to work (as I do) on the highway at all. That is a valid viewpoint based upon top speed of the bike, the HP of the bike, and torque of the bike. It was not made as a inflammatory remark, but as one for anyone searching for "250 as a starter bike".

121 - 140 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.