Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm looking at returning to the motorcycle world after a 50 year hiatus. My first bike when I was 16 was a Suzuki x6 Hustler 250cc. It was a very fast and light bike 90 mph+ yikes! I am now looking at buying a used 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T, fully dressed with dual backrests, floor boards windshield fog lights saddle bags sissy bar ETC... Its in near perfect condition 30,000miles. But I'm 6'1" and 250lbs. and wondering if that bike will have enough power for me and the occasional 160lb+ passenger. I know I have a lot to re-learn but was wondering if its a good re-starter bike? Also I looked the bike over real close and couldn't find where to check the coolant level. I YouTubed it and received step by step instructions on how remove speedo, gas tank and seat to access rad cap, but hopefully its not that complicated to check coolant!
TIA
Milo

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Welcome.

My advice to you is the same as it would be to someone who never rode before.

Get a small used bike for your first 6 months to a year, then sell up to what you really want/need.

The C might be a bit too heavy for your re-training machine and might not be quite enough for 2-up highway use at speed.

But nobody really knows what is right for YOU.
Sit on it; take a short test ride and see how it feels.
If you are in good physical shape, it could be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, but after the test ride, It felt right so I bought it, Woo Hoo!! I am still wondering if other c50 owners would chime in as to how do you check coolant level without dismantling 1/2 the bike!
thx
Milo

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
how do you check coolant level without dismantling 1/2 the bike!
thx
Milo
It is what it IS.
Once you get it and do it once you can probably answer that question yourself.

I suspect that most people "check" it by assuming it is OK if it doesn't overheat.

Seems like I remember that with my Vulcan I could see the level if I kind of stood on my head and had someone else shine a light in the other side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but after the test ride, It felt right so I bought it, Woo Hoo!! I am still wondering if other c50 owners would chime in as to how do you check coolant level without dismantling 1/2 the bike!
thx
Milo

My understanding is you do need to remove the gas tank to check the coolant level. You can look it up on youtube for instructions. I just bought a M50, and changed the engine oil & filter. I am not concerned with the coolant right now, as the bike has only 8,000 miles on it. I wouldn't be concerned about the coolant unless a leak develops. Also, isn't there a 'idiot light' for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those who care, I found out how to check the coolant level. You need to remove the tool kit cover and then the chrome cover beneath it, 4 screws, and lo and behold, there It is, the coolant reservoir with removable rubber cap to add coolant if needed! Thank God for Google and YouTube!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome back

thx
Milo
After not riding for about 25 years, I bought an 08 M50 to see if I wanted to ride again. That was about 5 years ago and she's still going strong. So far all I've had to do is change the oil and adjust the clutch cable. You're gonna love the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For those who care, I found out how to check the coolant level. You need to remove the tool kit cover and then the chrome cover beneath it, 4 screws, and lo and behold, there It is, the coolant reservoir with removable rubber cap to add coolant if needed! Thank God for Google and YouTube!
My '09 M50 has a slot in that cover, down low and towards the front, where you can visually check the coolant level. But looking at pictures of C50's online I don't see that slot. Interesting.
I do love my bike and it's been rock-solid reliable for two years. I bought it with 30K miles and have put almost 10K more on. I did adjust the valves as recommended in the service manual, and they did take some adjusting. But I wish I had paid someone to do it, they're a royal pain to get to. Apart from that, I just hop on and ride.
800 cc's may be a little underpowered for a big guy and a passenger, but if you're enjoying it I say keep enjoying it! You can always bump up to something more powerful later on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Milo: makes me smile to actually read your post, and feel your enthusiasm for the machine that you purchased. The C50 is, as you're learning, a great bike. Enjoy, and welcome back to the Brotherhood of the Bike! Respectfully, Derek Johnson, '08 Bully C109RT owner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
I'm looking at returning to the motorcycle world after a 50 year hiatus. My first bike when I was 16 was a Suzuki x6 Hustler 250cc. It was a very fast and light bike 90 mph+ yikes! I am now looking at buying a used 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T, fully dressed with dual backrests, floor boards windshield fog lights saddle bags sissy bar ETC... Its in near perfect condition 30,000miles. But I'm 6'1" and 250lbs. and wondering if that bike will have enough power for me and the occasional 160lb+ passenger. I know I have a lot to re-learn but was wondering if its a good re-starter bike? Also I looked the bike over real close and couldn't find where to check the coolant level. I YouTubed it and received step by step instructions on how remove speedo, gas tank and seat to access rad cap, but hopefully its not that complicated to check coolant!
TIA
Milo

It should be enough just take things slow. You will be back to normal in no time. Be safe and if needed take the safety course again to knock off the dust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts