Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the motorcycle world, but not a stranger to cranking wrenches. I just recently moved to ga and took ownership of a 00 v star 1100. I knew it wasn't working when I took ownership... the back story is alot of blah blah but it has been thru 2 “motorcycle mechanics” with no result. Brand new battery, brand new stater, rectifier and, plugs. The motor turns but does not fire...... suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
it has been thru 2 “motorcycle mechanics” with no result.
Those two individuals barely qualify as grease monkeys much less mechanics.
"My bike won't start" has been covered on here in many MANY threads and the basics are always the same.
Please do a little searching first.
To be able to help by "remote control" we need more details; for starters, what did those "mechanics" tell you ??

I know a "real" bike mechanic just a bit north of Atlanta.

P.S. Has this experience taught you anything about buying vehicles that are not in working condition ??
It should have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting fluid didn't work... I have been searching for days to figure this problem... I wish it was something I could have found already... I already figured they were %%%% when one of them couldn't find the stater... it has an aftermarket performance ignition module (Dyna 3000)and short of replacing that I haven't found a way to test it.... I have no spark @ the plugs... I bypassed the fuel pump with an external pump that is pumping but I haven't cracked the fuel rails yet.As for the non working thing... its what I wanted... I know how to work on cars but have never worked on a bike... this way I can learn about it while knowing what was done and how well it was done... I have downloaded the etm but since its on my phone its slow to navigate... I was just hoping someone could give me some things to check or test methods

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
First make sure the battery is completely charged. Check all the fuses with a multimeter. Check all the connections on stuff that was replaced by the "mechanic" to make sure it is wired correctly and connections are tight. There should be a wiring diagram in your manual. IF all of this is ok then you will be ready to troubleshoot your problem. If lack of fire is the problem leave anything to do with gas alone for now. Fix one problem at a time.:bluethum:

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
If lack of fire is the problem leave anything to do with gas alone for now. Fix one problem at a time.:bluethum:
I don't understand.......why someone would mess with the gas if there is no spark.
OR why someone would mess with the fuel pump without first testing for pressure in the rail.

I think he has two choices here, after he does what you said:
Contact the company that made the ignition module for help
Or put the ignition back to stock.
Making sure that the ignition is getting power and ground would be fairly easy I would hope.

[soap box]
This is EXACTLY why I would never touch a bike that has had the engine messed with in ANY form.....running or not.
[/off box]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Until you get a spark at the plugs no matter what else you do it will never start, so as others have suggested correct that problem first. (Unless you have converted it to diesel, LOL).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im 99 % sure it's the ignition module.... after tracing the current from the battery everything works as it should until you get to that... anyone know where I can get cheap parts? Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts