Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first post ever and I need some help! The final drive on my bike has stripped out where the shaft connects to the assembly. I have looked up the price of new and used parts, but it is my understanding that this is not an uncommon problem with this year of motorcycle. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade or other option. I would hate to invest 600 bucks on something that will just happen again. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not going to be any help to you except by suggesting you might ask your question over on the V-Star 650 forum

I think you will get an answer to your question pretty quickly over there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi sheadogs i have a 2003 650 v star and the final drive did the same thing and i took it apart and weled the sleve to the pinion gear it has reverse threads on the nut we put it in a vice to hold it stright and cut slots on an angle so there was more weld to hold it u must weld it so not to heat it up to bad after i was done we lt it cool put it back in and works great no vibration at all put 80 miles on it and took it apart an checked and it was fine so try it saves u hundreds

·
Registered
2 Posts
is your bike still doing ok i have bearings going out on mine and the splines are worn a litte .i can replace the bearings and will if welding the collar on works ok

bruce

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear you've run into this. Same thing happened to me about a year ago. The coupler is designed to strip to prevent engine damage, and can be replaced for something like $10. The actual worm drive is the real trick, since it can't be purchased separately. You can either buy a new final drive, or do what I did, which is pick up a used final drive for a Yamaha Virago 535 and swap out the parts. I followed the instructions found on the url below and it worked like a charm... saved a lot of money, too. Good luck!

http://650ccnd.com/webslinger/Mods/RearEnd/XV535Reardriveswapfor650Vsta.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts