Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Honda VT 750 DC WITH 27,000 miles on it about a month ago. I am new to bikes and have a background in car maintenance only. I haven't even driven the bike 100 miles. There is a red light that started coming on shortly after I bought it next to a symbol that looks like a lamp which I would assume is Oil Temp? But I am not sure. I took the bike out this morning and got on the highway. Once I was at about 60 miles an out the bike started to bog and would no longer accelerate when given throttle. I pulled off and as I slowed down it died. I can no longer get it to start. The starter works fine and it even sounds like it's going to fire but never actually does. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? Or have any suggestions where I should start in terms of maintenance? Any advice or help would be great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
There is no "oil temp" light.

Is there some good reason that you won't take it to a shop to get it fixed ??
If you got it from a dealer, they might help you out for little or no money.
Most used dealer bikes have a 30 day warranty.

First thing probably is to find out what that red light really IS.

An owners manual would be REALLY helpful.

P.S. Continuing to operate ANY kind of a vehicle while a warning light is ON is not a very prudent thing to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like either the oil pressure light or the engine temperature light.

Have you checked the oil level (with bike level, and dipstick not screwed in), and coolant level in the recovery tank between the rad, and engine?

I Agree with easy rider, don't ride with a warning light on, hopefully there's no serious damage, and let us know what you find!

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.